A Moist Mouth Prevents Cavities
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 27 November 2014 - 2:33 am IST
Answer this quick! What works to protect our tooth from decay 24 x 7?
Yes, our saliva is rich in minerals, calcium and phosphorus which helps to protect our teeth against the acids produced by the bacteria and sugars. However, the concentration of saliva can become greatly depleted due to dehydration, sports activities as well as by the consumption of medications.
Here are the few DO’s and DON’TS to maintain your saliva concentration:
- Increase your water intake. Sip in plain water from time to time. This helps you to keep your mouth moist and helps to loosen the mucous.
- Try eating chewy or crunchy foods. Try sugar free gum, cheese or raw vegetables in order to stimulate the secretion of saliva.
- If you suffer from a problem, consult your dentist regarding using a saliva substitute or gel for your gums.
- Smoke; drink too much alcohol or drinking caffeinated drinks. Avoid eating spicy foods as well. These foods tend to make your mouth dry.
- Breathe through your mouth, if you can avoid it. Breathing through your mouth can cause the moisture to dry out faster than usual.