Amazing Health Benefits of Pomegranate
By Refadoc, Posted on : Sunday, 24 May 2015 - 5:25 am IST
Pomegranates are known for their thick skin and their seedy fruits, along with a scarlet red color. The fruit has now being hailed as a wonder fruit by scientists all over the world. The fruit is revered as an important food source and is also widely used all over the world for it’s medicinal value. In some cultures, it is even considered to be a symbol of fertility and prosperity.
Consuming Pomegranate has been hailed as very beneficial for our health and skin. The peel of a Pomegranate includes a great amount of pomegranates which are also released while the fruit is being squeezed for it’s juice. Extracting the juice of the fruit is considered to be one of the simplest ways of eating the fruit as the seeds can be quite cumbersome to deal with. Pomegranates contain the maximum number of anti oxidants as compared to other fruit. It contains almost three times more time the antioxidants as compared to green tea and oranges.
Nutritional Value of Pomegranates:
Pomegranate is a major source of Ellagic Acid and Punicic Acid along with Omega 5 Polyunsaturated Fatty acids, which are known to be quite beneficial for the regeneration of the cells. The fruit is also a great source of Vitamin A, C, E and minerals such as Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Iron, Folic Acid, Niacin, Thiamin, Folates and Riboflavin.
Health Benefits of Pomegranate:
- Improves the Heart Health: Pomegranate Juice is known to have a great impact on your heart health. It keeps your arteries flexible and decreases the rate of inflammation around the lining of your blood vessels. It lowers the risk of blockage in your arteries which may lead to the restriction of the blood flow. It also lowers the amount of the bad cholesterol or the LDL cholesterol along your body.
- Maintains your Blood Sugar Level: Though Pomegranate juice contains fructose; it is not known to increase your blood sugar levels. It maintains your blood sugar levels to a stable amount.
- Maintains Your Blood Pressure: Pomegranates are also known to reduce the high blood pressure. It reduces the chances of lesions and inflammation of the blood vessels in people suffering from heart disease. Working as a natural aspirin, it keeps the blood from coagulating and prevents the formation of blood clots.
- Reduces the risk of Cancer: Pomegranates are known to eliminate the free radicals from the body and restrict the growth of cancer and other diseases. The high amount of anti oxidants found in Pomegranate Juice is known to promote the building of a healthy immune system.
- Treats Dysentery and Diarrhea: Pomegranate Juice is also used in the treatment of Diarrhea. It plays a major role by secreting the enzymes which help with the proper digestion of the food.
- Boosts your Immunity: Pomegranate Juice contains strong anti bacterial and microbial properties which are known to help fight against viruses and boost the immunity of your body. It helps to reduce the amount of microbes which are found in your body. The anti microbial properties found in Pomegranate Juice is also known to inhibit the transmission of the HIV Virus.
- Prevents Anemia: Pomegranate Juices are known to surmount the deficiency of the Red Blood Cells in the body. They are an excellent remedy for people suffering from sore eyes or nose bleeds.
- Helps with the Digestion of Food: Pomegranate Juice helps with the smooth working of the stomach, heart and the liver. It induces the hunger and controls thirst. It also helps to treat urinary tract infections and eases the flow of urine. It helps to improve the digestion and regulates the bowel movement as well.
- Great for Pregnant Women: Pomegranates are very beneficial for pregnant women. It is a great source of Vitamins and Minerals such as Folic Acid which is needed in excess by the pregnant women. The anti inflammatory properties of Pomegranate Juice are also known to ensure a proper flow of the blood to the heart. The potassium found in the juice is known to prevent leg cramps in pregnant women. It also lowers the risk of premature birth and aids in the development of a healthy baby.
- Great for your Skin: Pomegranate Juice is known to provide you with a healthy and vibrant skin. It also helps to slow down the process of aging by reducing the wrinkles and fine lines which are caused due to the exposure to the sun. It also helps in the regeneration of the skin and gets rid of the pigmentation as well.
- Prevents Gum Disease: There has been some evidence regarding the fact that applying Pomegranate Juice over the gums or the extract of the peel over the affected Gums is known to improve gum disease.
- Enhances the Muscle Strength: Early researches have pointed out that taking in the Pomegranate Extract is known to improve the muscle strength of a person after the exercise regimen.
- Metabolic Syndrome: Researches have even suggested that taking in the fruit everyday is known to improve the function of the blood vessels in case of adolescents who suffer from a metabolic syndrome.
- Combats Obesity: Taking a specific combination of Xantigen along with the Pomegranate Seed Oil along with Brown Marine Algae is known to reduce the body weight in case of obese women who suffer from liver disease.
- Prostate Cancer: Research has pointed out that drinking the juice of a Pomegranate everyday for two years is known to slow down the progress and onset of prostate cancer.
- Stomatitis: Applying a gel of the fruit extract to the gums can improve the symptoms in case of people who suffer from a fungal infection in their mouth.
- Sunburn: Early researches have even proved that taking Pomegranate extract orally is known to reduce the chances of sunburn over a period of four weeks.
Side Effects and Safety Profile:
Pomegranate Juice and extract is possibly safe for most people when taken orally or when applied to the surface of the skin. Most people are known not to show any side effects to the fruit at all. However, some people can suffer from some allergic reactions to the fruit such as itching, swelling, running nose and difficulty while breathing.
The fruit is possibly unsafe when the root and the stems of the fruit are ingested in large amounts. The root of the fruit is known to contain a poison.
Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women: The juice of the fruit is safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. However, there isn’t enough knowledge about the use of the other forms of the fruit such as the extract. In case you are pregnant, we would recommend you to stick with the juice and check with your healthcare provider first in case you wish to use any other part of the fruit.
Low Blood Pressure: Drinking the juice is known to lower the blood pressure of a person. Drinking the juice is also known to increase the risk of the blood pressure to drop to a low point in people who already suffer from low blood pressure.
Plant Allergies: People suffering from Plant allergies are known to suffer from an allergic reaction to the fruit.
Surgery: Pomegranate Juice is known to affect the blood pressure of a person. It can also interfere with the blood pressure control of a person before and after the surgery. Therefore, it is recommended to stop taking the juice of the fruit for about two weeks before the commencement of the surgery.
Login to Add Comment
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
15 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Headaches and Migraines
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
13 Wonderful Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss