Are you suffering from adult ADHD?
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 21 January 2015 - 3:19 am IST
ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is known as one of the most common mental disorder amongst kids. However, it a little known fact that ADHD affects adults as well. A recent study has found that around 6% middle aged guys suffer from ADHD. Though the symptoms and the signs for this condition can be often difficult to diagnose, here are a few symptoms that you should be looking out for:
- Frequent Trips to the Loo: Adults diagnosed with ADHD are known to pee a lot. This makes it quite unbearable for them to stand long meetings or queues. They tend to fidget and are not able to settle down easily due to this urge.
- Interruptive Behavior: Guys are rarely known to make small talk; however, people suffering from adult ADHD are known to be quite talkative. They can’t wait to finish other people’s sentences and that is a common behavior seen amongst guys suffering from this condition. People suffering from the condition also find it very hard to hold the information with them and cannot wait to apply it to the practical world.
- Impatient Behavior: People suffering from ADHD are known to show an abnormal activation of the reward pathways in their brain, which makes them quite impatient normally.
- They are engrossed in new hobbies: Though this is not a negative thing, people suffering from ADHD are on the lookout for new, fun things around them. They pursue a hobby for a small time and then decide to do away with it. Picking up a new hobby and bailing on it within a few days is one of the major characteristic for people suffering from ADHD.
- Prioritizing on the wrong things: People suffering from ADHD are known to go to great lengths in avoiding starting on something which they don’t need to do otherwise. This is also known as pseudo efficiency. For instance, the person will leave the office report aside and will start organizing the desk or cleaning off the table.
- Too attached to their cell phones: One of the major symptoms of ADHD is the need for a constant distraction and what is the best way to keep you occupied? You’re Smartphone! People suffering from ADHD often tend to text while talking to another person or could be updating a status while attending a meeting.
- Had school problems as a kid: Even if the adult had not been diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, there are chances that the symptoms were existing back then. Academic difficulties could be one of the most significant symptoms. As a child, the person could not sit still or went bouncing from one thing to the other. They made careless errors and trouble focusing on the class lecture or activities! These are some of the major symptoms for ADHD in children.