Choicest Winter Spices
By Refadoc, Posted on : Saturday, 24 January 2015 - 1:25 am IST
Winters are upon us and this is the best time of the year to load up on our favorite spices and herbs to combat the cold. So, take a look at the top spices which you should be consuming this winter season:
- Cinnamon: This spice is famous because of its bittersweet taste and is often used in cakes and curries. A dash of the spice can also be added to your coffee to flavor it. The spice is known to boost the immune system and controls the blood sugar level.
- Cardamom: This spice is very commonly used in Indian sweets. The spice comes in green and brown variety and can also be used while cooking rice.
- Ginger: Don’t even get me started on the goodness of Ginger. The herb is perfect for stomach aches, helps in the digestion and cures cough. Taken during the winter season, the herb is known to fortify your digestive system. So, load up the ginger in your tea and soups.
- Peppercorn: Whole peppercorns can be easily added to soups and stews to enhance their flavor. The ground form of the same can be sprinkled all over the salads, meats and pasta. The spice is known to help with the common cold, digestion, cough, constipation as well as anemia.
- Cloves: Cloves are known to be the medical miracle for people suffering from coughing fit. Cloves can be easily added to the rice preparation and curies to enhance their overall taste.
- Cumin: Cumin is a great spice which can be added to soups, gravies and most of the Indian dishes. It is known to aid with the digestion, improves the immunity of the body and also helps to clear out certain respiratory disorders.
- Bay Leaves: Bay leaves are known for their woody flavor and can be used in curries, stews as well as rice preparations. Though they are often sold in dry form, they can also be picked fresh before adding to the food. Bay Leaves are popular for their anti inflammatory properties and anti bacterial advantages. They are known to alleviate digestive disorders such as acid reflux and constipation.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is a common ingredient in Italian cuisines and has numerous health benefits. It is known to relieve the pains, aids in the digestion and helps you to sleep well.