Debunking Major Meditation Myths
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 15 January 2015 - 4:21 am IST
Meditation has proved one of the most famous and beneficial forms of relaxation and learning to focus. However, there are a lot of misconceptions and myths which have been associated with meditation and associated exercises. So, here are a few major ones:
- You need to set cross legged: Some people often shirk away from meditating due to this major myth. Sitting cross legged for longer durations can actually cause you to become uncomfortable with the passage of time, and can make concentrating really difficult. You can meditate in many different positions. You can lie down, sit in your chair, stand or can even meditate while you are walking. You can do it anytime you want.
- You should not be thinking about anything: Though a clear mind is one of the major goals of meditation, there are chances that people are not able to attain that in one single go. Therefore, when you are starting, it is very obvious that your mind is going to wander and go places of its own. Remember, you have to train your mind to focus and it takes time. Rein your mind when it tries to wander on its own.
- You should sit in complete silence: Silence though can be relaxing can also make you uncomfortable at times. Therefore, with a bit of guidance, you can keep your mind on the right track. Try going in for guided meditation along with some visualization exercises in order to start with the complete process.
- You are going to need a lot of time: This is not true. We are all busy and often people find it very hard to take out chunks of time to devote to meditation. But, the good news is that with even a 60 seconds interval, you can easily take down time to meditate. Place your hand on your heart and try taking deep breaths. This is one of the kinds of mediations which you can do, even when you are falling short of time.
- You need to sit alone: Most people tend to meditate on their own. However, there are also people who meditate in groups and that is one of the best ways to get started. In case you are training to climb a main mountain, isn’t it better to start with a group, rather than going on alone? Starting with a group makes sure that you find both support as well as accountability. You are less likely to quit in the beginning if you are going to start with a group!
Login to Add Comment
Living with an abusive partner who constantly belittles you is no cakewalk. Many women live with people who are simply unsuitable and make them unhappy. Sometimes the bullying is so subtle that you
Nail Fungus Infection: Basic Overview Nail Fungus Infection is a very common condition which tends to begin as a white or a yellow spot under the fingernail or the toenail of an affected
So, you have been dealing with stress lately? Have you been taking those anti depression pills? That is a complete no! Nature holds the keys to the best stress busters which may also appeal to your
Breast Cancer is one of the most common cancers affecting women all over the world. The possibility of every one in eight women of developing the cancer puts every woman under the sc
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Headaches and Migraines
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin