Major Marriage Testing Milestones
By Refadoc, Posted on : Friday, 27 February 2015 - 2:15 pm IST
Do you remember your marriage vows, ‘ For better or for worse, in sickness and in health’? Well, when you were taking those vows, they were not just for fun! Every married couple goes through their very own share of testing times, but it is totally dependent on the couple whether the testing times makes them stronger or breaks off their wedding. What difference does a critical situation make in the life of a married couple? Here is something which you can find out from the major marriage milestone which every couple goes through:
- Having a child together: It can be very easy to lose sight of your marriage if all your time is consuming in feeding your child at 3 am or cleaning soiled diapers. For the first few months after you have your first child, you can forget all about sex. However, it is very important to talk about the changes which are happening in your relationship, from the lack of adequate sleep to the lack of sex. It is very important for the couples to stay on the same parenting page in order to prevent arguments down the road. It is recommended to stay flexible and to employ the services of a nanny if things are getting too hard for you.
- Infertility: If a couple is going through problems while conceiving, they might start resenting each other down the line. The best thing to do in such a situation is to explore out all your options rather than to blame the other person for the situation. It is recommended to keep hope in some of the other options such as surrogacy or adoption if you are unable to conceive naturally.
- Cheating: Betrayal never happens in a vacuum. Once you get over thinking yourself as a victim, only then can you understand that how this has happened. Once you get to this situation, you will be able to understand as to how you both contributed to the situation and how you can grow and become stronger together. When you and your spouse get over the indiscretion, you will be willing to keep an open heart and an open mind.
- A serious illness: A serious illness can allow you to see how your spouse has got your back in a way which is different from a daily day to day existence. It can also be reaffirming in many ways to know to you can stick with each other through the thick and the thin of life.
- Caring for a sick parent: A sick parent can be in many ways just like introducing a new baby into the family. Taking care of a sick parent is going to need time, energy as well as money. It is recommended to take care of this family dynamic as a team. For instance, one person can cook and the other can visit.
The reality is that most couples tend to face most, if not all of these situations throughout their marriage. It is very crucial to take the long term view into the mind and know that despite the stressful times, your marriage can survive.