Things That Ruin Your Teeth
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 20 January 2015 - 1:54 am IST
Your smile is one of your best assets and often, people take great care of their smiles. However, were you aware that there are a few things which could be harming your smile without your even knowing about it?
Take a look:
- Sports Drinks: Over the past several years, sports drinks have emerged as a leading product in the market. However, they are not good for your teeth. Due to their high pH levels, the drinks can lead to tooth erosion and can wear off the enamel. The high sugar content in these drinks is also known to produce bacteria which can cause tooth decay and cavities.
- Bottled Water: This may come as a surprise, but bottled water contains less amount of Fluoride as recommended by the doctors. Fluoride is known to make your tooth more resistant towards acid attack and repairs tooth decay, if any. Tap water or fresh water is one of the best known sources of Fluoride.
- Smoking/ Tobacco: Both of these substances are known to cause immense damage to your teeth. It can also cause oral, lung, mouth or throat cancer. The tar present in tobacco is known to deposit a sticky film all over the teeth which promotes the growth of bacteria.
- Wine: Regular intake of Wine is harmful for the enamel of the tooth. The acid present in wine is known to cause dental staining. It is not recommended to consume more than a glass of wine per day. The enamel erosion caused due to wine can be very difficult to repair.
- Diet Pills: Though these pills are known to cause an immediate reduction along your waist line, many over the counter medications and diet pills are known to decrease the secretion of saliva, causing dry mouth. It also puts you at a greater risk of developing gum disease, tooth decay as well as cavities.
- Teeth Grinding: Teeth grinding, which is also known as Bruxism, is known to affect the entire jaw of the affected person. Tooth Grinding is also known to wear off the enamel and causes chipping and sensitivity.
- Candy: This comes as no big surprise, but candy causes a direct rotting of the teeth. Naturally occurring bacteria in candy are known to create acids which attack the tooth enamel, leading to tooth decay and problems such as Gingivitis and Cavities.
- Dry Mouth: Dry mouth is extremely bad for your teeth. Keeping your mouth moist not only prevents tooth decay but also reduces the risk for developing other health problems. Drinking loads of water, chewing sugarless gum as well as using Fluoride toothpaste are beneficial for your oral hygiene.
- Hot Drinks: You may have fallen into a habit, but hot drinks such as black tea and caffeine are known to contain tannins, which promote the occurrence of stains all over your teeth. It is recommended to consume these drinks in moderation and to drink more water every day. You can also add more milk to your tea or coffee to douse down the effects of the same.