7 Best Foods For Stronger Bones
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 18 September 2014 - 12:14 pm IST
There is a general myth that once a person turns eighteen, the growth of their bones stop permanently. Though there is a shard of truth in this myth, there is no doubt in the fact that a person can increase the strength of these bones by consuming some of these very simply available foods. Take a look at our best pick:
- Vegetables: They are loaded with calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and many other minerals abundantly. Leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, greens, mustard greens, parsley, spinach etc are great for maintaining your bone density. Vegetables such as spinach and Swiss chard are known to contain a high amount of calcium along with oxalates which increase the calcium absorption of the body.
- Protein Rich Foods: Protein rich foods are best known in order to provide the flexibility to the bones and thereby help to prevent any fractures. The assumption that foods rich in protein can lead to osteoporosis has been shunned and has been proved to be incorrect.
- Whole Grains: In today’s time, the rice and wheat is totally stripped off the bran and therefore, lacks in the nutrient content. Whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, oats, barley, rye, cornmeal and quinoa are excellent sources for carbohydrates, fibres and vitamins. Consuming them can provide your body with a large amount of calories and can help the body to metabolize the proteins for gaining energy. Also, grains have proved to be a great source of magnesium which helps to increase the absorption of calcium from the bloodstream.
- Trace Minerals: Seaweeds, nuts and seeds are optimal sources of trace minerals. Trace minerals are known to play a pivotal role in the development of the bone health. Consuming foods rich in trace minerals helps you to gain a mineral balance. Seaweeds are rich in trace minerals and in iodine, which is excellent for the working of the thyroid gland as well. Nuts and seeds are also great sources for the development of the bones as they are rich in fatty acids as well as plant proteins. Consuming a handful of nuts is known to get your reserves of iron, boron, selenium, phosphorus and calcium up.
- Consuming Healthy Fats: Consuming healthy fats is one of the best ways to maintain bone health. An average woman going through menopause requires about 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat on a daily basis. Both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are needed by the body in order to work on a normal basis with the sustenance of the bone health and density.
Bones are integral to the body and their health needs to be maintained in order to curb out the chances of developing disease such as osteoporosis or osteoarthritis in the coming future. Therefore, by following the above mentioned regimen, you can maintain a healthy bone density!
Login to Add Comment
Dark circles under the eyes are one of the biggest problems that women and girls face all over the world. Dark circles take away the freshness of the face of the people and give them a look of pale
Cataract - Overview Cataract is better known as the clouding with envelops the eye of the patient and thus causes an impairment in the vision of the person. As a person starts to age, the
Battling and Living With Parkinson’s Disease Parkinson’s disease is well known to be a progressive disorder which directly impairs the functioning of the Nerv
Causes of Infertility in Women Female infertility is the reason behind one third of the total infertility cases all over the world. Infertility in women could be caused due to the conditi
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots