7 Best Foods For Stronger Bones
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 18 September 2014 - 12:14 pm IST
There is a general myth that once a person turns eighteen, the growth of their bones stop permanently. Though there is a shard of truth in this myth, there is no doubt in the fact that a person can increase the strength of these bones by consuming some of these very simply available foods. Take a look at our best pick:
- Vegetables: They are loaded with calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and many other minerals abundantly. Leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, greens, mustard greens, parsley, spinach etc are great for maintaining your bone density. Vegetables such as spinach and Swiss chard are known to contain a high amount of calcium along with oxalates which increase the calcium absorption of the body.
- Protein Rich Foods: Protein rich foods are best known in order to provide the flexibility to the bones and thereby help to prevent any fractures. The assumption that foods rich in protein can lead to osteoporosis has been shunned and has been proved to be incorrect.
- Whole Grains: In today’s time, the rice and wheat is totally stripped off the bran and therefore, lacks in the nutrient content. Whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, oats, barley, rye, cornmeal and quinoa are excellent sources for carbohydrates, fibres and vitamins. Consuming them can provide your body with a large amount of calories and can help the body to metabolize the proteins for gaining energy. Also, grains have proved to be a great source of magnesium which helps to increase the absorption of calcium from the bloodstream.
- Trace Minerals: Seaweeds, nuts and seeds are optimal sources of trace minerals. Trace minerals are known to play a pivotal role in the development of the bone health. Consuming foods rich in trace minerals helps you to gain a mineral balance. Seaweeds are rich in trace minerals and in iodine, which is excellent for the working of the thyroid gland as well. Nuts and seeds are also great sources for the development of the bones as they are rich in fatty acids as well as plant proteins. Consuming a handful of nuts is known to get your reserves of iron, boron, selenium, phosphorus and calcium up.
- Consuming Healthy Fats: Consuming healthy fats is one of the best ways to maintain bone health. An average woman going through menopause requires about 2 to 3 tablespoons of fat on a daily basis. Both Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are needed by the body in order to work on a normal basis with the sustenance of the bone health and density.
Bones are integral to the body and their health needs to be maintained in order to curb out the chances of developing disease such as osteoporosis or osteoarthritis in the coming future. Therefore, by following the above mentioned regimen, you can maintain a healthy bone density!
Login to Add Comment
Need a quick energy burst, but do not know where to turn to? You need not go far away as nuts are the extreme source of energy that is easily available for your consumption. Nuts are full of protei
Accidents are rampant all over India. Be it on the road, in homes or in workplaces, they are an everyday occurrence. However, what do people do when they see an accident? Most of us are j
In order to write for her new book on common colds, the writer Jennifer Ackerman offered her nose for some random experimentation. She allowed herself to be sprayed with Rhinovirus, one of the 200
Lettuce Overview: Lettuce has often been termed as the perfect food for weight loss and a super food! The vegetable comes loaded with health benefits and comprises of a great amount of pr
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
Headaches and Migraines
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka