Beetroot Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 - 4:04 pm IST
Beetroot, which is also commonly known as Beet has been gaining popularity all over the world in the past couple of years. The vegetable is known to improve athletic performance, lower the blood pressure as well as increase the blood flow throughout the body. This increased popularity of the vegetable has made it an active ingredient in juices and drinks.
A beetroot are often white in color and is commonly used for sugar extraction.
Nutritional Breakdown of Beetroot:
One cup of raw Beetroot contains the following:
Calories – 58
Carbohydrate – 13 grams
Protein – 2 grams
Beetroot is also a rich source of Folate and Manganese and also contains Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Betaine, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper and Selenium.
Beets are also a high source of Nitrate.
Health Benefits of Beetroots:
Some of the major health benefits of Beetroot are as follows:
- Heart Health and Blood Pressure: A recently conducted study has found that taking 500 ml of Beetroot juice is known to lower the blood pressure. The high nitrate content of Beetroot is known to be a low cost as well as an effective way to treat cardiovascular conditions and blood pressure.
- Dementia: It has been found that drinking Beetroot juice is known to improve the oxygenation process of the brain, which is crucial in slowing down the progression of Dementia. Consuming Beetroot juice is also known to improve the blood flow as well as oxygenation across the major organs of the body.
- Diabetes: Beetroots are rich in alpha lipoic acid which is known to lower the levels of glucose in the bloodstream by increasing the insulin sensitivity and prevent the oxidation in patients suffering from Diabetes.
- Digestion: Due to the high content of Beetroot, it has been known to prevent constipation and promote the regularity of the digestive system.
- Inflammation: Choline, which is found in Beetroot, is very important to help with sleep, muscle movement, learning as well as memory. Choline helps to maintain the structure of the cellular membranes, aids with the working and the transmission of the nerve impulses and assists in the absorption of fats.
- Athletic Performance: Beetroot juice is also known to improve the muscular oxygenation during exercise, increases dietary nitrate intake and also enhances the transmission of the nervous impulses.
Adding Beetroot to your Diet:
Beets can be consumed in a variety of ways. They can be roasted, steamed, boiled, pickled or consumed raw. The following are the best possible ways to incorporate Beetroot into your diet:
- Extracting the Beetroot juice and blending it with oranges, mint, apples or lemon. This can be blended and strained before consuming.
- Grate down raw Beets and add them to your favorite Salad.
- Add down roasted beets to cheese
- Slice down the beets and serve them with lemon juice.
Login to Add Comment
Food preservatives have emerged out to be an integral part of our everyday life. Turning back and looking at the list of ingredients in some of the everyday food items, we get to see the name of mi
People often contemplate over the best way to cook their food which is able to contain the flavour as well as the nutrient content of the ingredients. Though many ways of cooking food are known, ho
Mango Fruit : Overview Mango is one fruit that is so tasty often termed as ‘The King of Fruits’ that people often forget about its benefits. Mango's are one of the richest sou
Cantaloupe Cantaloupes run synonymous with summer picnics and family meals. They have emerged to be one of the most favorable choices of families across the world for their
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
Eating rice won't make you fat
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
15 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss