Beetroot Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 - 4:04 pm IST
Beetroot, which is also commonly known as Beet has been gaining popularity all over the world in the past couple of years. The vegetable is known to improve athletic performance, lower the blood pressure as well as increase the blood flow throughout the body. This increased popularity of the vegetable has made it an active ingredient in juices and drinks.
A beetroot are often white in color and is commonly used for sugar extraction.
Nutritional Breakdown of Beetroot:
One cup of raw Beetroot contains the following:
Calories – 58
Carbohydrate – 13 grams
Protein – 2 grams
Beetroot is also a rich source of Folate and Manganese and also contains Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Betaine, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper and Selenium.
Beets are also a high source of Nitrate.
Health Benefits of Beetroots:
Some of the major health benefits of Beetroot are as follows:
- Heart Health and Blood Pressure: A recently conducted study has found that taking 500 ml of Beetroot juice is known to lower the blood pressure. The high nitrate content of Beetroot is known to be a low cost as well as an effective way to treat cardiovascular conditions and blood pressure.
- Dementia: It has been found that drinking Beetroot juice is known to improve the oxygenation process of the brain, which is crucial in slowing down the progression of Dementia. Consuming Beetroot juice is also known to improve the blood flow as well as oxygenation across the major organs of the body.
- Diabetes: Beetroots are rich in alpha lipoic acid which is known to lower the levels of glucose in the bloodstream by increasing the insulin sensitivity and prevent the oxidation in patients suffering from Diabetes.
- Digestion: Due to the high content of Beetroot, it has been known to prevent constipation and promote the regularity of the digestive system.
- Inflammation: Choline, which is found in Beetroot, is very important to help with sleep, muscle movement, learning as well as memory. Choline helps to maintain the structure of the cellular membranes, aids with the working and the transmission of the nerve impulses and assists in the absorption of fats.
- Athletic Performance: Beetroot juice is also known to improve the muscular oxygenation during exercise, increases dietary nitrate intake and also enhances the transmission of the nervous impulses.
Adding Beetroot to your Diet:
Beets can be consumed in a variety of ways. They can be roasted, steamed, boiled, pickled or consumed raw. The following are the best possible ways to incorporate Beetroot into your diet:
- Extracting the Beetroot juice and blending it with oranges, mint, apples or lemon. This can be blended and strained before consuming.
- Grate down raw Beets and add them to your favorite Salad.
- Add down roasted beets to cheese
- Slice down the beets and serve them with lemon juice.
Login to Add Comment
Sodium: Sodium is one of the major components of our everyday diet. Table salt (Sodium Chloride) is the major source of Sodium for humans. This mineral is known to control the blood press
India has been crowned as the Diabetes capital of the world. Therefore, take a look at the ways in order to reduce the toll of the disease, which can shorten your life span by almost 15 years. Here
Carrots Carrots are commonly known as the ultimate health food all over the world. These root vegetables are known to be the powerhouse of nutrients and are known for their
Ginger Ginger is one herb which is known all over the world due to its therapeutic properties such as anti inflammatory properties and its relevance in getting rid of gastr
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Triple X Syndrome
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
13 Wonderful Health Benefits of Mushrooms