Benefits and Risks of Eating Bitter Gourd in Pregnancy
By Refadoc, Posted on : Friday, 19 June 2015 - 5:18 pm IST
Bitter Gourd is considered to be one of the best natural food for pregnant women all over the world. Unlike a lot of misconceptions regarding Bitter Gourd, it is very safe to consume it during the course of pregnancy. The properties of Bitter Gourd work towards the definite advancement of health, if it is regularly consumed.
The advantages eating Bitter Gourd during pregnancy:
- High in Folate Content: Folate is recommended for pregnant women. This mineral works to keep the new born safe from any possible neural tube defects. Bitter Gourd is one of the best sources of Folate.
- High in Fiber Content: Bitter Gourd is packed with fiber and provides a sense of satisfaction. It tends to decrease the food cravings of pregnant women for high calorie foods.
- Prevents Digestive Track Disorders: Constipation and Hemorrhoids are the biggest challenges faced by pregnant women all over the world. The fiber content of Bitter Gourd helps to decrease the chances of these problems amongst women.
- Anti Diabetic: Bitter Gourd contains anti diabetic properties and therefore must be consumed every day. The nutrients such as Charantin and Polypeptide P help in fighting against gestational diabetes.
- Anti Oxidant Properties: Bitter Gourd contains Vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant and helps the pregnant women to fight against bacteria. It also helps in order to build the immunity of the mothers to be.
- Source of Nutrients: Bitter Gourd is an amazing source of vitamins and minerals needed by the growing embryo. It is a rich source of Iron, Niacin, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, Zinc, Magnesium and Manganese. This is one of the main reasons why it is also known as a super vegetable.
Risks of eating Bitter Gourd:
- Causes Toxicity: Bitter Gourd contains alkaline compounds such as Resins, Quinine, Saponic Glycosides and Morodicine. These substances are known to spread toxicity in the body. This can also lead to stomach pain, nausea and dimness of vision.
- Stomach Related Troubles: Diarrhea, cramps along the abdomen and other stomach problems can occur when a woman consumes Bitter Gourd in excess.
- Pre Term Labor: Bitter Gourd is also known to cause certain uterine activities leading to pre term labor in some women.
Login to Add Comment
Often majority of women tend to become pregnant effortlessly, however, there are others for whom this process takes some time. The reason for this delay in getting pregnant is stil
Though babies might appeal to you generally, having one in the house could be a lot of hard work. That tiny person would belong to you forever and will be bring along a lot of changes in your life
Cervical Length scans are recommended in case you have been suffering from a late miscarriage in the second trimester of your pregnancy or have had a history of premature birth in the past. The sca
Most women think that once they’ve delivered their baby, their skin is just going to get back to normal without any work. However, they are left with loose skin and a flabby belly after the d
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin