Benefits and Risks of Eating Bitter Gourd in Pregnancy
By Refadoc, Posted on : Friday, 19 June 2015 - 5:18 pm IST
Bitter Gourd is considered to be one of the best natural food for pregnant women all over the world. Unlike a lot of misconceptions regarding Bitter Gourd, it is very safe to consume it during the course of pregnancy. The properties of Bitter Gourd work towards the definite advancement of health, if it is regularly consumed.
The advantages eating Bitter Gourd during pregnancy:
- High in Folate Content: Folate is recommended for pregnant women. This mineral works to keep the new born safe from any possible neural tube defects. Bitter Gourd is one of the best sources of Folate.
- High in Fiber Content: Bitter Gourd is packed with fiber and provides a sense of satisfaction. It tends to decrease the food cravings of pregnant women for high calorie foods.
- Prevents Digestive Track Disorders: Constipation and Hemorrhoids are the biggest challenges faced by pregnant women all over the world. The fiber content of Bitter Gourd helps to decrease the chances of these problems amongst women.
- Anti Diabetic: Bitter Gourd contains anti diabetic properties and therefore must be consumed every day. The nutrients such as Charantin and Polypeptide P help in fighting against gestational diabetes.
- Anti Oxidant Properties: Bitter Gourd contains Vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant and helps the pregnant women to fight against bacteria. It also helps in order to build the immunity of the mothers to be.
- Source of Nutrients: Bitter Gourd is an amazing source of vitamins and minerals needed by the growing embryo. It is a rich source of Iron, Niacin, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, Zinc, Magnesium and Manganese. This is one of the main reasons why it is also known as a super vegetable.
Risks of eating Bitter Gourd:
- Causes Toxicity: Bitter Gourd contains alkaline compounds such as Resins, Quinine, Saponic Glycosides and Morodicine. These substances are known to spread toxicity in the body. This can also lead to stomach pain, nausea and dimness of vision.
- Stomach Related Troubles: Diarrhea, cramps along the abdomen and other stomach problems can occur when a woman consumes Bitter Gourd in excess.
- Pre Term Labor: Bitter Gourd is also known to cause certain uterine activities leading to pre term labor in some women.
Login to Add Comment
Thyroid Problems and Pregnancy: The Inter relation There are many different reasons behind infertility in women. Sometimes, it can be really hard to put a finger on the issue which is cau
Pregnancy is a very crucial stage in every woman’s life. Therefore, if you have been trying to conceive, it is very important to keep a tab on the food choices that you make. There have been
Bed rest during the final weeks of the pregnancy can be hard for the mother to be, both emotionally as well as physically. There are many challenges which stand in the way of a pregnant wom
Skin Rashes are quite common amongst pregnant women all over the world. Around one in every 150 women suffers from skin rashes during the course of their pregnancy. PUPPP stands for Pruritic
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair