Benefits and Risks of Eating Bitter Gourd in Pregnancy
By Refadoc, Posted on : Friday, 19 June 2015 - 5:18 pm IST
Bitter Gourd is considered to be one of the best natural food for pregnant women all over the world. Unlike a lot of misconceptions regarding Bitter Gourd, it is very safe to consume it during the course of pregnancy. The properties of Bitter Gourd work towards the definite advancement of health, if it is regularly consumed.
The advantages eating Bitter Gourd during pregnancy:
- High in Folate Content: Folate is recommended for pregnant women. This mineral works to keep the new born safe from any possible neural tube defects. Bitter Gourd is one of the best sources of Folate.
- High in Fiber Content: Bitter Gourd is packed with fiber and provides a sense of satisfaction. It tends to decrease the food cravings of pregnant women for high calorie foods.
- Prevents Digestive Track Disorders: Constipation and Hemorrhoids are the biggest challenges faced by pregnant women all over the world. The fiber content of Bitter Gourd helps to decrease the chances of these problems amongst women.
- Anti Diabetic: Bitter Gourd contains anti diabetic properties and therefore must be consumed every day. The nutrients such as Charantin and Polypeptide P help in fighting against gestational diabetes.
- Anti Oxidant Properties: Bitter Gourd contains Vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant and helps the pregnant women to fight against bacteria. It also helps in order to build the immunity of the mothers to be.
- Source of Nutrients: Bitter Gourd is an amazing source of vitamins and minerals needed by the growing embryo. It is a rich source of Iron, Niacin, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, Zinc, Magnesium and Manganese. This is one of the main reasons why it is also known as a super vegetable.
Risks of eating Bitter Gourd:
- Causes Toxicity: Bitter Gourd contains alkaline compounds such as Resins, Quinine, Saponic Glycosides and Morodicine. These substances are known to spread toxicity in the body. This can also lead to stomach pain, nausea and dimness of vision.
- Stomach Related Troubles: Diarrhea, cramps along the abdomen and other stomach problems can occur when a woman consumes Bitter Gourd in excess.
- Pre Term Labor: Bitter Gourd is also known to cause certain uterine activities leading to pre term labor in some women.
Login to Add Comment
Women often find themselves wrestling around the bed in order to try being comfortable during the course of their pregnancy. However, it is sad news that our regular sleeping positions do not work
Biotin, which is also known as Vitamin H or B7 is often a group of the B complex Vitamins which are water soluble in nature and can be produc
It is no fun being sick. And especially when you are pregnant, being sick should be the last thing that you should be thinking about. Being sick while you are pregnant does not only affect your hea
Vaginal Odor during pregnancy is very common amongst women all over the world. One of the major symptoms of vaginal odor is a pungent odor from the vaginal area along with a chunky discharge, itchi
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Triple X Syndrome
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
Headaches and Migraines