Blackberries Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 - 4:18 pm IST
Blackberries are one of the most common forms of Berry which is found all over the world. The fruit contains of small drupelets which are arranged in a circular fashion. Every single drupelet further contains of a juicy pulp and a single tiny seed. The berry measures around 3-4 cms in length and contains around 80-100 drupelets.
Health benefits of Blackberries:
- Just like other types of Berries, Blackberries come packed with plant nutrients such as Vitamins, Minerals, Anti oxidants as well as dietary fibers which are needed by the body.
- Blackberries have low calorie content. Around 100 grams of Blackberries contain only 43 calories. Blackberries contain Xylitol, which is a low calorie substitute that helps to control the blood sugar levels.
- Blackberries also contain high amounts of Phenolic Flavonoid Phytochemicals such as Anthocyanins, Ellagic Acid and Tannin. These contain of antioxidant properties which are known to fight against cancer, aging, inflammation as well as neurological diseases.
- Blackberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C which works as a powerful natural antioxidant. Vitamin C works towards developing the resistance against infectious agents, counter balances inflammation and fights against harmful free radicals which are formed in the bloodstream.
- Blackberries carry along good levels of Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K. They are also rich in their antioxidant content with antioxidants such as Lutein, Zea Xanthin as well as Beta Carotene. These compounds fight against free radicals and help to prevent aging and other degenerative diseases.
- Blackberries are known to have an ORAC Value of about 5347 TE per 100 grams.
- Blackberries contain a good amount of minerals such as Potassium, Manganese, Copper and Magnesium. Copper is very crucial for bone metabolism and in the production of WBC’s and RBC’s in the bloodstream.
- Blackberries also contain moderate amounts of B Complex Vitamins. These include Pyridoxine, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin as well as folic acid. These vitamins work together as co factors for the enzymes and help to metabolize the carbohydrates, proteins as well as fats.
Login to Add Comment
Have an important event and found a zit on your face? Well, that’s nothing less than a nightmare! They pop up overnight and refuse to go away easily. Not to mention the unsightly marks they l
Cooking imparts flavour to the food, but eating the food raw provides us with the much needed nutrients that help us to stay healthy and fit. Though the choices are very limited wh
Pregnancy is a very crucial stage in every woman’s life. Therefore, if you have been trying to conceive, it is very important to keep a tab on the food choices that you make. There have been
Avocado Avocados might be fatty, but that does not mean that they are bad for your health! Did you know that Avocados are a nutritional powerhouse which has numerou
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Eating rice won't make you fat
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects