Brussels Sprouts : Health Benefits and Nutrition
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 11:45 am IST
Brussels sprouts are something we all hated eating up as kids. They suffer from a bad reputation; however that does not mean that they are not beneficial for your health.
Brussels sprouts are known to contain high amounts of proteins and just consuming a single serving of the vegetable is known to provide you with the sufficient amount of Vitamin C and K for an entire day. Brussels sprouts are a nutritional powerhouse and supply you with only a small amount of calories.
Nutritional Breakdown of Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts are known to feature amongst the top 20 nutritional foods of all time. They contain high amount of nutrients and fewer calories. One cup of Brussels sprouts is known to contain 38 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 8 grams of Carbohydrates as well as 3 grams of proteins.
Health Benefits of Brussels sprouts:
Consuming Brussels sprouts is known to reduce the risks of many adverse health conditions. Many recent studies have proved and suggested that consuming Brussels sprouts is known to decrease the chances of obesity, diabetes, heart disease as well as promotes a healthy complexion and increases your overall energy level of the person.
Here are some of the most well known health benefits of Brussels sprouts:
- Fights Cancer: Consuming Brussels sprouts is known to decrease the chance of contracting cancer. They contain sulphur containing compounds that are known for their cancer fighting power. These compounds are also known to delay or impede the chances of contracting cancer. Brussels sprouts also contain Chlorophyll which is known to block the carcinogenic effects of the amines that is generated due to grilling meats at a high temperature.
- Improves Bone Health: Lower intakes of Vitamin K are known to increase the chances of developing bone fractures and breaking. Vitamin K helps to improve the bone health and acts as a modifier of the bone matrix proteins by improving the calcium absorption and reducing the urinary secretion of calcium.
- Managing Diabetes: Brussels sprouts contain the antioxidant Alpha lipoid acid which lowers the level of glucose and increases the insulin sensitivity in patients suffering from Diabetes.
- Maintains your vision: Brussels sprouts provide you with the required amount of Vitamin C which keeps your eyes healthy by providing protection against UV rays of the sun.
- Helps you to look younger: Since Brussels sprouts are rich in Vitamin C, when eaten raw they can help to fight against skin damage which is caused due to sun and pollution. It also helps to reduce the wrinkles and improves the texture of the skin. Vitamin C plays a major role in the production of collagen which helps to support the system of the skin.
Login to Add Comment
Healthy Chocolate Chocolate is one of the favourite sweet of people all over the world. Who said that healthy food only comes off the shelves of the fruits and the vegetables section of t
Diabetes is the disease on a spree! In the next decade, it is expected that the disease will reach alarming levels and will be one of the major conditions affecting people all over
What is the major barrier when you are trying to shed those few extra kilos? The answer is hunger! Contrary to popular beliefs, instead of eating less while you are dieting
Broccoli Broccoli – the vegetable which is not only loaded with all the essential nutrients but is also known widely because of its therapeutic properties. Broccoli c
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Eating rice won't make you fat
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
Triple X Syndrome