Brussels Sprouts : Health Benefits and Nutrition
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 11:45 am IST
Brussels sprouts are something we all hated eating up as kids. They suffer from a bad reputation; however that does not mean that they are not beneficial for your health.
Brussels sprouts are known to contain high amounts of proteins and just consuming a single serving of the vegetable is known to provide you with the sufficient amount of Vitamin C and K for an entire day. Brussels sprouts are a nutritional powerhouse and supply you with only a small amount of calories.
Nutritional Breakdown of Brussels sprouts
Brussels sprouts are known to feature amongst the top 20 nutritional foods of all time. They contain high amount of nutrients and fewer calories. One cup of Brussels sprouts is known to contain 38 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 8 grams of Carbohydrates as well as 3 grams of proteins.
Health Benefits of Brussels sprouts:
Consuming Brussels sprouts is known to reduce the risks of many adverse health conditions. Many recent studies have proved and suggested that consuming Brussels sprouts is known to decrease the chances of obesity, diabetes, heart disease as well as promotes a healthy complexion and increases your overall energy level of the person.
Here are some of the most well known health benefits of Brussels sprouts:
- Fights Cancer: Consuming Brussels sprouts is known to decrease the chance of contracting cancer. They contain sulphur containing compounds that are known for their cancer fighting power. These compounds are also known to delay or impede the chances of contracting cancer. Brussels sprouts also contain Chlorophyll which is known to block the carcinogenic effects of the amines that is generated due to grilling meats at a high temperature.
- Improves Bone Health: Lower intakes of Vitamin K are known to increase the chances of developing bone fractures and breaking. Vitamin K helps to improve the bone health and acts as a modifier of the bone matrix proteins by improving the calcium absorption and reducing the urinary secretion of calcium.
- Managing Diabetes: Brussels sprouts contain the antioxidant Alpha lipoid acid which lowers the level of glucose and increases the insulin sensitivity in patients suffering from Diabetes.
- Maintains your vision: Brussels sprouts provide you with the required amount of Vitamin C which keeps your eyes healthy by providing protection against UV rays of the sun.
- Helps you to look younger: Since Brussels sprouts are rich in Vitamin C, when eaten raw they can help to fight against skin damage which is caused due to sun and pollution. It also helps to reduce the wrinkles and improves the texture of the skin. Vitamin C plays a major role in the production of collagen which helps to support the system of the skin.
Login to Add Comment
If you have a little more weight and a hanging tummy but are looking forward to gain those wonderfully looking abs, then do not despair! Here is a list of ten fibre rich foods whic
Amla is one of nature’s best gifts to humankind. It has been recommended as the number one natural practitioner and comes complete with nourishing and rejuvenation powers. So, here ar
Right from the farms to our fork, humans tend to waste around 40% of the food. In addition to our economical to our ethical ramifications, this predisposed wastage of food is known to affect our en
No one ever said that an egg a day, keeps the doctor at bay. However, latest research has clearly demonstrated that eating an egg every day does not raise your risk of contracting heart disease amo
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Triple X Syndrome
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
How to get rid of bad breath - Expert Doctors tell you the way out - Refadoc
15 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots