Calcium - Health Center
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 15 September 2015 - 10:46 am IST
Calcium is known to be one of the most essential minerals required by humans. It is known to ease insomnia and thus helps to regulate the movement of the nutrients throughout the cell walls. Due to the deprivation of Calcium, there is a lack of muscle co ordination and contraction which often leads to blood clotting and inability of the nerves to carry the nervous impulses throughout the body.
The body mechanism rules that if a person takes a diet poor in calcium, then the body fulfils its needs by using Calcium from the bones. This is the major reason why weakness of the bones is often attributed to the low amount of calcium in the bloodstream. The bones tend to become brittle and weak due to the loss of calcium. The deficiency of Calcium often leads to muscular spasms and cramps accompanied by Osteoporosis.
Sources of Calcium:
The various food sources of Calcium are as follows:
- Fruits such as Blackberries, Dates, Grapefruit, Oranges, Pomegranate
- Nuts such as Almonds, Oats, Wheat, Pistachios, Sesame, Hazelnuts
- Legumes such as Soy, Beans, White beans, Edamame
- Vegetables such as Celery, Squash, Kale, Broccoli, Brussels, Turnips
- Cheese, Cream, Milk, Eggs, Sardines, Goat Milk, Yoghurt and Soy beans.
Daily Need of Calcium:
Children: 800-1300 mg per day
Adults: 1000 mg per day