Cantaloupe : Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 12:11 pm IST
Cantaloupes run synonymous with summer picnics and family meals. They have emerged to be one of the most favorable choices of families across the world for their high water content and their raw refreshing taste which makes them a favorite fruit for adults and children alike. The mild and sweet flavor of the fruit makes them one of the most popularly consumed summer fruit all over the world.
Cantaloupes are also commonly known as melons or muskmelons.
Nutritional Breakdown of Cantaloupes:
One cup of diced melon contains the following:
Fat 0.3 grams
Carbohydrates 13 grams
Sugar 12 grams
Fiber 1.4 grams
Protein 1.3 grams
Vitamin A 106% of the daily allowance
Vitamin C 95% of the daily allowance
The fruit is also very rich in Vitamin K, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate as well as Magnesium.
Health Benefits of Cantaloupes:
Consuming Cantaloupes is known to decrease the risk of Obesity, diabetes and heart disease. It is also known to boost the overall morality of the person and promoting the health of the hair and a healthy complexion as well. Check out the following major health benefits of Cantaloupes:
- Age related Macular Degeneration: Cantaloupes are rich in the antioxidant Zeaxanthin which helps out to filter the harmful blue radiations of the sun, protecting the eyes against UV damage. Higher intakes of the fruit are also known to decrease the risk of progression of Macular Degeneration.
- Asthma: People who consume a higher dose of Cantaloupes are less susceptible towards developing Asthma as compared to their counterparts. Vitamin C and Beta Carotene found in Cantaloupes is known to be most effective against Asthma.
- Blood Pressure: Cantaloupes are rich in fiber, Vitamin C as well as Choline which helps to support the heart health. The Potassium content found in Cantaloupes is also known to decrease the chances of developing hypertension and reduces the risk of stroke occurrence as well.
- Cancer: Cantaloupes are a rich source of Beta Carotene which plays a protective role in order to prevent Prostate Cancer. Beta Carotene is helps to protect against colon cancer.
- Digestion: The fruit has been proved to be rich in both fiber and moisture and therefore helps to prevent constipation and promotes the regularity of the digestive system.
- Hydration: Since the fruit is rich in water and electrolyte content, it has been known to prevent dehydration.
- Inflammation: Cantaloupes are rich in Choline which is beneficial in order to boost the muscle movements, learning as well as memory. It also helps to maintain the structure of the cellular membranes and aids in the transmission of the nervous impulses all throughout the body.
- Skin and Hair Health: Cantaloupes are known to be extremely beneficial for your hair as they are a rich source of Vitamin A which helps in the secretion of sebum production in order to keep your hair moisturized and healthy.
Login to Add Comment
Cooking imparts flavour to the food, but eating the food raw provides us with the much needed nutrients that help us to stay healthy and fit. Though the choices are very limited wh
We all have often heard about the advertisements of food products with a low amount of cholesterol. Although we have heard a lot about cholesterol, do we really know what cholesterol is? Ch
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a condition which affects the large intestine (Colon) of the affected people. Cramping, abdominal pains, constipatio
There is a huge difference between hunger and sudden pangs of eating a specific food. These intense and sudden pangs for a specific food can be a major sign of you suffering from a deficiency of ce
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin