Carrots : Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 12:23 pm IST
Carrots are commonly known as the ultimate health food all over the world. These root vegetables are known to be the powerhouse of nutrients and are known for their immense health benefits all over the world. Though orange is one of the most commonly cultivated and consumed carrot, it is also available in the shades of Purple, red, yellow and white.
The modern day carrot is known to be sweet, crunchy as well as aromatic in flavor.
Nutritional Breakdown of Carrots:
One medium sized Carrot contains the following nutrients:
Carbohydrates 6 grams
Sugar 3 grams
Protein 1 gram
Carrots are the best known source of Vitamin A and a single serving of the vegetable is known to provide around 210% of the total intake needed per day. It is also rich in Vitamin C, Calcium as well as Iron. Carrots are also a major source of Beta Carotene which also provides the vegetable with their oranges color. Beta Carotene is absorbed by the human intestine during digestion and is converted into Vitamin A.
Carrots are also a rich source of Vitamin K, Fiber, Potassium, Folate, Manganese, Phosphorus, Magnesium as well as Vitamin E and Zinc.
Health Benefits of Carrots:
The Vegetable is popular for its antioxidant content and is known to reduce the risk of Cancer and Cardiovascular disease. Take a look at some of the most important health benefits of Carrots:
- Cancer: The Carotenoids present in Carrots are known to have anti cancer effects owing to their antioxidant content and therefore help to reduce the amount of free radicals found in the body.
- Prevents Lung Cancer: Carrots, when consumed by chain smokers are known to reduce their risk of contracting lung cancer by almost three times as compared to their counterparts.
- Colorectal Cancer: The Beta Carotene found in Carrots is known to inverse the affects of colon cancer in patients.
- Leukemia: Carrot juice is also known to kill the Leukemia cells and helps to inhibit the progression of the disease.
- Prostate Cancer: In younger men, diets rich in Beta Carotene are known to play a protective role against the chances of Prostate Cancer as per the suggested studies.
- Vision: Carrots are also known to be an amazing source of Vitamin A which helps to prevent the damage to the eyes. Foods rich in Beta Carotene are also known to restore the vision. People are known to gain positive changes in their vision with the consumption of Beta Carotene.
- Other Benefits: The antioxidants as well as the Phytochemicals found in Carrots are known to help with the regulation of the blood sugar levels within the body and help to delay aging, improving the immune system of the person.
Login to Add Comment
Iron: Iron is one of the most integral minerals required by the body. Infants, teenage girls and pregnant women are most prone to suffer from Iron deficiency. Due to the deficiency of Iro
Green Tea is popular all over the world owing to its various health benefits. It is known to protect against heart disease, diabetes, cancer, weight gain and even tooth decay. However, recent
Patients who are struggling with a chronic kidney disease and consume meat rich and highly acidic diet on a regular basis are only giving a boost to their already prevalent disease. According to th
Cucumber Cucumber which makes an active part of salads and other Mediterrean diets is consisted up to 95% water and is known to be low in its calorie content. The h
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
Eating rice won't make you fat
Headaches and Migraines
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
How to get rid of bad breath - Expert Doctors tell you the way out - Refadoc
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi