Carrots : Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 12:23 pm IST
Carrots are commonly known as the ultimate health food all over the world. These root vegetables are known to be the powerhouse of nutrients and are known for their immense health benefits all over the world. Though orange is one of the most commonly cultivated and consumed carrot, it is also available in the shades of Purple, red, yellow and white.
The modern day carrot is known to be sweet, crunchy as well as aromatic in flavor.
Nutritional Breakdown of Carrots:
One medium sized Carrot contains the following nutrients:
Carbohydrates 6 grams
Sugar 3 grams
Protein 1 gram
Carrots are the best known source of Vitamin A and a single serving of the vegetable is known to provide around 210% of the total intake needed per day. It is also rich in Vitamin C, Calcium as well as Iron. Carrots are also a major source of Beta Carotene which also provides the vegetable with their oranges color. Beta Carotene is absorbed by the human intestine during digestion and is converted into Vitamin A.
Carrots are also a rich source of Vitamin K, Fiber, Potassium, Folate, Manganese, Phosphorus, Magnesium as well as Vitamin E and Zinc.
Health Benefits of Carrots:
The Vegetable is popular for its antioxidant content and is known to reduce the risk of Cancer and Cardiovascular disease. Take a look at some of the most important health benefits of Carrots:
- Cancer: The Carotenoids present in Carrots are known to have anti cancer effects owing to their antioxidant content and therefore help to reduce the amount of free radicals found in the body.
- Prevents Lung Cancer: Carrots, when consumed by chain smokers are known to reduce their risk of contracting lung cancer by almost three times as compared to their counterparts.
- Colorectal Cancer: The Beta Carotene found in Carrots is known to inverse the affects of colon cancer in patients.
- Leukemia: Carrot juice is also known to kill the Leukemia cells and helps to inhibit the progression of the disease.
- Prostate Cancer: In younger men, diets rich in Beta Carotene are known to play a protective role against the chances of Prostate Cancer as per the suggested studies.
- Vision: Carrots are also known to be an amazing source of Vitamin A which helps to prevent the damage to the eyes. Foods rich in Beta Carotene are also known to restore the vision. People are known to gain positive changes in their vision with the consumption of Beta Carotene.
- Other Benefits: The antioxidants as well as the Phytochemicals found in Carrots are known to help with the regulation of the blood sugar levels within the body and help to delay aging, improving the immune system of the person.
Login to Add Comment
Low Carb Diets are very much in trend these days. The dependency of people on these diets is increasingly greatly. However, you will be surprised to know that a few so called &lsqu
Vitamin B3- Niacin : Overview Vitamin B3 which is commonly known as Niacin is required by the body for the maintenance of one’s general health. It is known to improve cholesterol le
Yes, offices can be tiresome and boring at times. Sometimes, all you want to do is sit down at your desk and munch along on that bag of chips. Other times, coffee seems like you new best friend. Li
India has been crowned as the Diabetes capital of the world. Therefore, take a look at the ways in order to reduce the toll of the disease, which can shorten your life span by almost 15 years. Here
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
15 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
Headaches and Migraines
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?