Carrots : Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 12:23 pm IST
Carrots are commonly known as the ultimate health food all over the world. These root vegetables are known to be the powerhouse of nutrients and are known for their immense health benefits all over the world. Though orange is one of the most commonly cultivated and consumed carrot, it is also available in the shades of Purple, red, yellow and white.
The modern day carrot is known to be sweet, crunchy as well as aromatic in flavor.
Nutritional Breakdown of Carrots:
One medium sized Carrot contains the following nutrients:
Carbohydrates 6 grams
Sugar 3 grams
Protein 1 gram
Carrots are the best known source of Vitamin A and a single serving of the vegetable is known to provide around 210% of the total intake needed per day. It is also rich in Vitamin C, Calcium as well as Iron. Carrots are also a major source of Beta Carotene which also provides the vegetable with their oranges color. Beta Carotene is absorbed by the human intestine during digestion and is converted into Vitamin A.
Carrots are also a rich source of Vitamin K, Fiber, Potassium, Folate, Manganese, Phosphorus, Magnesium as well as Vitamin E and Zinc.
Health Benefits of Carrots:
The Vegetable is popular for its antioxidant content and is known to reduce the risk of Cancer and Cardiovascular disease. Take a look at some of the most important health benefits of Carrots:
- Cancer: The Carotenoids present in Carrots are known to have anti cancer effects owing to their antioxidant content and therefore help to reduce the amount of free radicals found in the body.
- Prevents Lung Cancer: Carrots, when consumed by chain smokers are known to reduce their risk of contracting lung cancer by almost three times as compared to their counterparts.
- Colorectal Cancer: The Beta Carotene found in Carrots is known to inverse the affects of colon cancer in patients.
- Leukemia: Carrot juice is also known to kill the Leukemia cells and helps to inhibit the progression of the disease.
- Prostate Cancer: In younger men, diets rich in Beta Carotene are known to play a protective role against the chances of Prostate Cancer as per the suggested studies.
- Vision: Carrots are also known to be an amazing source of Vitamin A which helps to prevent the damage to the eyes. Foods rich in Beta Carotene are also known to restore the vision. People are known to gain positive changes in their vision with the consumption of Beta Carotene.
- Other Benefits: The antioxidants as well as the Phytochemicals found in Carrots are known to help with the regulation of the blood sugar levels within the body and help to delay aging, improving the immune system of the person.
Login to Add Comment
Welcome autumn! The seasons of mist and fruitful mellowness! However, fall has something more which it has got to offer to you. It brings along with a list of super foods which not
Patients who are struggling with a chronic kidney disease and consume meat rich and highly acidic diet on a regular basis are only giving a boost to their already prevalent disease. According to th
Though exercises are known to increase the blood supply to your muscles as well as your scalp, certain dietary changes are known to work wonders to make sure that you have breathtakingly beautiful
Olives Olives, not only do they taste amazing when served with cocktails, but they also have a large number of health benefits. Health benefits of Olives
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Headaches and Migraines
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll