Debunking Major Meditation Myths
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 15 January 2015 - 4:21 am IST
Meditation has proved one of the most famous and beneficial forms of relaxation and learning to focus. However, there are a lot of misconceptions and myths which have been associated with meditation and associated exercises. So, here are a few major ones:
- You need to set cross legged: Some people often shirk away from meditating due to this major myth. Sitting cross legged for longer durations can actually cause you to become uncomfortable with the passage of time, and can make concentrating really difficult. You can meditate in many different positions. You can lie down, sit in your chair, stand or can even meditate while you are walking. You can do it anytime you want.
- You should not be thinking about anything: Though a clear mind is one of the major goals of meditation, there are chances that people are not able to attain that in one single go. Therefore, when you are starting, it is very obvious that your mind is going to wander and go places of its own. Remember, you have to train your mind to focus and it takes time. Rein your mind when it tries to wander on its own.
- You should sit in complete silence: Silence though can be relaxing can also make you uncomfortable at times. Therefore, with a bit of guidance, you can keep your mind on the right track. Try going in for guided meditation along with some visualization exercises in order to start with the complete process.
- You are going to need a lot of time: This is not true. We are all busy and often people find it very hard to take out chunks of time to devote to meditation. But, the good news is that with even a 60 seconds interval, you can easily take down time to meditate. Place your hand on your heart and try taking deep breaths. This is one of the kinds of mediations which you can do, even when you are falling short of time.
- You need to sit alone: Most people tend to meditate on their own. However, there are also people who meditate in groups and that is one of the best ways to get started. In case you are training to climb a main mountain, isn’t it better to start with a group, rather than going on alone? Starting with a group makes sure that you find both support as well as accountability. You are less likely to quit in the beginning if you are going to start with a group!
Login to Add Comment
If you have a little more weight and a hanging tummy but are looking forward to gain those wonderfully looking abs, then do not despair! Here is a list of ten fibre rich foods whic
Did you just have a lazy weekend? If so, then sleep-ins on Monday are expected. And so are Monday Morning Blues! A latest research has suggested that we tend to feel a slum
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis which is also known as Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis is one of the most common kind of arthritis found in children below the age of 17. Some of the most common signs a
Its winter season and Christmas is almost knocking at our doors. Holidays don’t only bring along blissful holiday cheer but also is the time for big meals, the customary holiday sweets and be
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
13 Effective Home Remedies for Dry Skin
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Triple X Syndrome
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects