Debunking Major Meditation Myths
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 15 January 2015 - 4:21 am IST
Meditation has proved one of the most famous and beneficial forms of relaxation and learning to focus. However, there are a lot of misconceptions and myths which have been associated with meditation and associated exercises. So, here are a few major ones:
- You need to set cross legged: Some people often shirk away from meditating due to this major myth. Sitting cross legged for longer durations can actually cause you to become uncomfortable with the passage of time, and can make concentrating really difficult. You can meditate in many different positions. You can lie down, sit in your chair, stand or can even meditate while you are walking. You can do it anytime you want.
- You should not be thinking about anything: Though a clear mind is one of the major goals of meditation, there are chances that people are not able to attain that in one single go. Therefore, when you are starting, it is very obvious that your mind is going to wander and go places of its own. Remember, you have to train your mind to focus and it takes time. Rein your mind when it tries to wander on its own.
- You should sit in complete silence: Silence though can be relaxing can also make you uncomfortable at times. Therefore, with a bit of guidance, you can keep your mind on the right track. Try going in for guided meditation along with some visualization exercises in order to start with the complete process.
- You are going to need a lot of time: This is not true. We are all busy and often people find it very hard to take out chunks of time to devote to meditation. But, the good news is that with even a 60 seconds interval, you can easily take down time to meditate. Place your hand on your heart and try taking deep breaths. This is one of the kinds of mediations which you can do, even when you are falling short of time.
- You need to sit alone: Most people tend to meditate on their own. However, there are also people who meditate in groups and that is one of the best ways to get started. In case you are training to climb a main mountain, isn’t it better to start with a group, rather than going on alone? Starting with a group makes sure that you find both support as well as accountability. You are less likely to quit in the beginning if you are going to start with a group!
Login to Add Comment
Smoothies are trending well on the global lifestyle and health charts these days. They are the best sources to provide you with the much needed energy boost and on top of that, the
To gain naturally beautiful skin, you need not go far. Your very own kitchen is a hidden storehouse of natural products which can enhance your skin’s glow and can provide you with clean and b
More and more people are working from home these days. However, research from two major British Universities have shown that people who work from home are at least as prone to stress as the other r
Though Neck Pain does not tend to get the same attention as the back pain, it is pretty common amongst people all over the world. However, if you are susceptible towards Neck Pain, here are some hi
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Triple X Syndrome
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
How to get rid of bad breath - Expert Doctors tell you the way out - Refadoc
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Eating rice won't make you fat