Debunking Major Meditation Myths
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 15 January 2015 - 4:21 am IST
Meditation has proved one of the most famous and beneficial forms of relaxation and learning to focus. However, there are a lot of misconceptions and myths which have been associated with meditation and associated exercises. So, here are a few major ones:
- You need to set cross legged: Some people often shirk away from meditating due to this major myth. Sitting cross legged for longer durations can actually cause you to become uncomfortable with the passage of time, and can make concentrating really difficult. You can meditate in many different positions. You can lie down, sit in your chair, stand or can even meditate while you are walking. You can do it anytime you want.
- You should not be thinking about anything: Though a clear mind is one of the major goals of meditation, there are chances that people are not able to attain that in one single go. Therefore, when you are starting, it is very obvious that your mind is going to wander and go places of its own. Remember, you have to train your mind to focus and it takes time. Rein your mind when it tries to wander on its own.
- You should sit in complete silence: Silence though can be relaxing can also make you uncomfortable at times. Therefore, with a bit of guidance, you can keep your mind on the right track. Try going in for guided meditation along with some visualization exercises in order to start with the complete process.
- You are going to need a lot of time: This is not true. We are all busy and often people find it very hard to take out chunks of time to devote to meditation. But, the good news is that with even a 60 seconds interval, you can easily take down time to meditate. Place your hand on your heart and try taking deep breaths. This is one of the kinds of mediations which you can do, even when you are falling short of time.
- You need to sit alone: Most people tend to meditate on their own. However, there are also people who meditate in groups and that is one of the best ways to get started. In case you are training to climb a main mountain, isn’t it better to start with a group, rather than going on alone? Starting with a group makes sure that you find both support as well as accountability. You are less likely to quit in the beginning if you are going to start with a group!
Login to Add Comment
Liver Failure - Overview Liver failure is known to be a life threatening condition in which there happens to be a severe weakening of the liver. The liver is known to be a vital organ wit
Tendinitis: Basic Information Tendinitis is known to be an inflammation or an irritation around the tendon. Tendons are thick fibrous cords which attach the muscles to the bones. Tendinit
Wheat Allergy – Basic Overview Wheat Allergy – as is suggestive from the name is an allergic reaction which occurs to foods containing wheat. People suffering from Wheat Aller
Neem Oil provides an effective treatment option for damaged skin and hair. The anti bacterial formula of Neem Oil makes it an amazing soother for the skin as well as the hair. Here are some of the
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
13 Wonderful Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects