Depression Center - Health Center
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 15 September 2015 - 10:46 am IST
Battling and Getting Over Depression
Depression falls under the category of mood disorders. Very common these days, it has come out to be the form of chronic mental illness in which a person is engulfed with a sense of persistent sadness as well as loss of interest in all the major activities. Depression claims the life of so many people every year. Depression has the tendency of creatinga cloud of emotional as well as physical problemsfor the person. A person suffering from depression can show signs of different problems adjusting to the everyday situations and therefore, often leads them to snap out during some of the simplest situations. However, it’s a happy piece of news that depression can be easily cured by using the combination of drugs, therapy and medicines.
Causes of Depression:
Though the real reason for the cause of Depression is still unknown and quite perplexing, some of the major theories that have come forward, pointto many factors. Some of the major factors for causing of depression are as follows:
Biological Factors: According to this, the major reasons for the occurrence of depression are is the changes in the brain pattern of the affected people. Though the real reason for this is still unknown, it has been foundthat many causes can be pinpointed along with the brain pattern of the affected person.
Changes in Brain Chemistry: Neurotransmitters – which are responsible in the conduction of the messagesall throughout the body, are another one of the major factors. When the neurotransmitter balance falls out of place, then it leads to depression.
- Hormonal Changes: These changes are caused due to the triggering of the hormones in an unbalanced way. This can lead to the creation of depression. A thyroid problem in the affected person are one of the biggest reasons for the occurrence of depression.
- Inherited Traits and Genetic Factors: It has been proved by the studies that people suffering from depression; tend to pass on the same genes to their children, resulting in the creation of this problem.
- Changes in the lifestyle: Often, due to the abrupt changes in the lifestyle of the person, owing to some problems such as the finances, high blood pressure or even trauma due to the loss of a loved one can be the causative factors for depression.
Signs and Symptoms for Depression:
Depression can come and lastthroughout many years. The signs and symptoms for these can vary across the different episodes of depression. Some of the major symptoms for depression are as follows:
- A great feeling of sadness as well as dismal
- Outbursts of frustration and anger
- Loss of the sleep patterns
- Loss of interests in the most engaging of activities
- Change or loss of weight
- Lack of energy
- Grogginess and Insomnia
- Frequent thoughts about killing oneself
- Physical problems such as back pains and headaches
- Problems thinking and concentrating
Different kinds of Depressions:
There are surprisingly different kinds of depressions. It is advised to see the doctors for the determination of the different types of depressions. Some of them are as follows:
- Anxious depression: In this the person encounters anxiety attacks while thinking about the different situations in which he or she might get caught up in.
- Melancholic Depression: In this a person suffers from the worse mood swings coupled with the changes in the appetite and followed by intensive feelings of guilt.
- Atypical Depression: In this the person suffers from an inability to be happy in any occasion. This is also coupled with the lack of sleep, self-rejection as well as a heaviness of the arms and legs.
- Catatonia: This kind of depression consists of the decrease in the motor activity of the person. Therefore, the person feels purposeless and inflexible.
- Pre partum Depression: This kind of depression is observed in females after childbirth.
Treatment and Drugs for Depression:
A lot of medications are available in the market for the treatment of Depression. Counselling and therapy have proved to be some of the best ways for the treatment of depression. Medications are provided in most of the cases in order to reduce the symptoms for depression. Some of the best prescribed medications are as follows:
- SSRI – Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors – These are the ones which are prescribed in the initial stages of depression. They do cause some-side effects, but are known to be great antidepressants.
- SNRI – Serotonin and Nor epinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors- These include basically medicines such as Duloxetine, Venlafaxine, etc.
- Atypical Antidepressants: They do not fit the category of the antidepressants. They are basically sedatives which are taken in the evening.
It is very important to find the right medication for depression. The treatment for depression takes a lot of time and patience. In some of the cases, it may take weeks or months for a person to observe some changes in the pattern of their symptoms. However, it is recommended not to stop taking the medicines without consulting the doctor about it first. Skipping the treatment in between can lead to the showing of the different withdrawal symptoms.