Eggplant or Aubergine
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 1:29 pm IST
Eggplant, which is also known as Aubergine, Garden Egg, Guinea Squash, Melon gene and Brinjal is very distinguishable due to its egg like shape and its purple color. Eggplants are available in different shapes, colors, sizes and shades. They range from oblong to long and skinny and come in the shades of purple to white and green.
Eggplants are a rich source of beneficial nutrients and Phytochemicals compounds which are very beneficial for the human health.
Nutritional Benefits of Eggplant:
One cup of Eggplant contains the following nutrients:
Proteins 0.8 grams
Carbohydrates 4.82 grams
Fats 0.15 grams
Fiber 2.5 grams
One cup serving also contains around 10% of the daily fiber requirement, 5% of the potassium, 3% Vitamin C, 5% Vitamin B6 and 2% of the Magnesium intake.
Eggplants are also a rich source of Anthocyanins, Flavanoids and antioxidants.
Health Benefits of Eggplant:
The following are some of the major health benefits of consuming Eggplants:
- Heart Health: Eggplants are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and Phytonutrients which are known to sustain a healthy heart health. Eggplant is also a rich source of Flavanoids which are known to reduce the risks of contracting heart disease.
- Blood Cholesterol: Eggplant consumption is known to cause a decrease in the body weight and blood cholesterol levels. Eggplant contains high amounts of Chlorogenic acid which is one of the most widely available free radicals found in the plant world. Chlorogenic acid is known to decrease the levels of LDL and also works as an antimicrobial agent.
- Cancer: Polyphenols that are found in Eggplants are known to have anti cancer effects. The Anthocyanins and Chlorogenic acid work as antioxidants and have anti inflammatory compounds. These are known to protect the body cells from the damage which is caused due to the free radicals which prevent the growth of the tumor cells and prevent the spread of the cancer cells. These are also known to stimulate the detoxifying enzymes and promote the death of the cancer cells.
- Cognitive Function: Anthocyanins, found within the Eggplant is known to work as a power antioxidant which protects the lipids from free radical damage. It is also known to have worked towards the transport of the nutrients into the cells and the waste products out.
- Weight Management: The fibers found within the Eggplant are known to work wonders towards weight management and work towards the weight loss by working as bulking agents within the digestive system. They increase the satiety and decrease the appetite of the person, making him feel fuller for a longer time and lowering the total intake of the calories.
Login to Add Comment
Vitamin A : Overview Vitamin A which is also commonly known as Retinoid is widely famous for promoting good vision, healthy immune system as well as cell growth in humans. There are
Raw Garlic: The Hidden Truth Raw Garlic has been known to prevent blood clots and keeping the blood pressure down. However, most recipes require the garlic to be cooked and
Yes, the motto has been changed from an apple a day to an olive a day. And, considering the nutritional properties of Olives, I am sure that you are going to incorporate it into your
Patients who are struggling with a chronic kidney disease and consume meat rich and highly acidic diet on a regular basis are only giving a boost to their already prevalent disease. According to th
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Triple X Syndrome
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots