Health Benefits of Apple
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 - 1:11 pm IST
Apple : The Healthiest Food
An old Welsh proverb goes by ‘An Apple a day keeps the doctors away’. We are all familiar with this proverb, but what is it that makes the fruit so popular amongst people all over the world?
Apple is the most cultivated and consumed fruit all over the world. It has often been called the miracle food. This is because the fruit is a rich source of antioxidants, flavanoids as well as dietary fiber. The phytonutrients as well as antioxidants found in apples help to reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes as well as heart disease.
Apples, without a doubt deserve to be called as Nutritional Powerhouses. They are very rich in the following nutrients:
- Vitamin C: Apples are a rich source of Vitamin C, which is a powerful natural antioxidant which is capable of blocking out some of the damage caused due to the free radicals as well as is capable of boosting the body’s resistance against the infectious agents.
- B complex Vitamins: Apples are a rich source of Riboflavin, Thiamin as well as Vitamin B 6. These vitamins hold an important part in maintaining the red blood cells as well as the nervous system of the body in a good shape.
- Dietary Fiber: Diets rich in fiber are known to prevent the development of certain diseases as well as helps to prevent the accumulation of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- Phytonutrients: Apples are a rich source of Polyphenolic Compounds. These nutrients help to protect the body against the bad effects of free radicals.
- Apples are also a rich source of potassium, Calcium and phosphorus.
Health Benefits of Apples:
Scientific Research has proved that apples are one of the best foods found in nature and should be added to our everyday diet. The following are the major health benefits of the fruit:
- Improves Neurological Health: Apples have proved to be good for one’s neurological health. The fruit is very rich in the antioxidant ‘quercetin’ which is known to reduce the rate of cellular death caused due to oxidation and inflammation of the neurons.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease: Evidence has pointed to the fact that apples help to protect the neuron cells against oxidation and stress induced neurotoxicity which further helps to reduce the risk of developing neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Prevents the risk of stroke: A recent study has proved that men and women who consumed apples as a part of their everyday diet have the lowest risk of developing stroke.
- Lowers bad cholesterol: Apples are really the miracle fruit! It has been proved that people who consume an apple everyday are known to have a 23% lesser chance of harboring bad cholesterol as compared to their counterparts.
- Reduces the risk of Diabetes: Apples are also known to reduce your chances of developing Diabetes. People who consume apples as a part of their everyday diet have a 7% lower chance of developing diabetes as compared to their counterparts.
Consuming an apple a day also helps to prevent vascular death in people above the age of 50. However, Apple seeds contain cyanide, which is a powerful poison. Eating too many apple seeds can be potentially dangerous. Most of the fiber and antioxidants are present in the peel of the fruit. Therefore, it is highly beneficial to eat the fruit without peeling.
Login to Add Comment
Medicinal Herbs and their Common Uses A lot of foods that we consume on an everyday basis are for the maintenance of our good health. However, one of the few com
Symptoms of Eating Disorder Do you suspect that your child is suffering from an Eating Disorder? In recent times various studies have confirmed that Bulimia and Anorexia ha
E. Coli Bacteria Infections - Overview E. coli is a bacterium which lives in the intestines of healthy people and animals. Most of the varieties of E. coli are known to be harmless to hum
Winters are upon us and this is the best time of the year to load up on our favorite spices and herbs to combat the cold. So, take a look at the top spices which you should be consuming this winter
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
15 Unbelievable Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots