Health Benefits of Apple
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 28 April 2015 - 1:11 pm IST
Apple : The Healthiest Food
An old Welsh proverb goes by ‘An Apple a day keeps the doctors away’. We are all familiar with this proverb, but what is it that makes the fruit so popular amongst people all over the world?
Apple is the most cultivated and consumed fruit all over the world. It has often been called the miracle food. This is because the fruit is a rich source of antioxidants, flavanoids as well as dietary fiber. The phytonutrients as well as antioxidants found in apples help to reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes as well as heart disease.
Apples, without a doubt deserve to be called as Nutritional Powerhouses. They are very rich in the following nutrients:
- Vitamin C: Apples are a rich source of Vitamin C, which is a powerful natural antioxidant which is capable of blocking out some of the damage caused due to the free radicals as well as is capable of boosting the body’s resistance against the infectious agents.
- B complex Vitamins: Apples are a rich source of Riboflavin, Thiamin as well as Vitamin B 6. These vitamins hold an important part in maintaining the red blood cells as well as the nervous system of the body in a good shape.
- Dietary Fiber: Diets rich in fiber are known to prevent the development of certain diseases as well as helps to prevent the accumulation of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- Phytonutrients: Apples are a rich source of Polyphenolic Compounds. These nutrients help to protect the body against the bad effects of free radicals.
- Apples are also a rich source of potassium, Calcium and phosphorus.
Health Benefits of Apples:
Scientific Research has proved that apples are one of the best foods found in nature and should be added to our everyday diet. The following are the major health benefits of the fruit:
- Improves Neurological Health: Apples have proved to be good for one’s neurological health. The fruit is very rich in the antioxidant ‘quercetin’ which is known to reduce the rate of cellular death caused due to oxidation and inflammation of the neurons.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease: Evidence has pointed to the fact that apples help to protect the neuron cells against oxidation and stress induced neurotoxicity which further helps to reduce the risk of developing neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Prevents the risk of stroke: A recent study has proved that men and women who consumed apples as a part of their everyday diet have the lowest risk of developing stroke.
- Lowers bad cholesterol: Apples are really the miracle fruit! It has been proved that people who consume an apple everyday are known to have a 23% lesser chance of harboring bad cholesterol as compared to their counterparts.
- Reduces the risk of Diabetes: Apples are also known to reduce your chances of developing Diabetes. People who consume apples as a part of their everyday diet have a 7% lower chance of developing diabetes as compared to their counterparts.
Consuming an apple a day also helps to prevent vascular death in people above the age of 50. However, Apple seeds contain cyanide, which is a powerful poison. Eating too many apple seeds can be potentially dangerous. Most of the fiber and antioxidants are present in the peel of the fruit. Therefore, it is highly beneficial to eat the fruit without peeling.
Login to Add Comment
Wheat Allergy – Basic Overview Wheat Allergy – as is suggestive from the name is an allergic reaction which occurs to foods containing wheat. People suffering from Wheat Aller
Green Tea is popular all over the world owing to its various health benefits. It is known to protect against heart disease, diabetes, cancer, weight gain and even tooth decay. However, recent
Just as it goes with meat, fishes too are packed with essential amino acids. The fact which makes fish a much more preferable choice is that it is also packed with
Cabbage Cabbage is often cited down in the same category as that of Lettuce. The vegetable is known well for its beneficial nutrients. Cabbage is known to vary in its color
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
20 Incredible Benefits of Raisins for Health, Skin & Hair
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
13 Wonderful Health Benefits of Mushrooms
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits