By Refadoc, Posted on : Monday, 12 January 2015 - 10:53 pm IST
Lemons Fruit Overview:
Lemons came to become popular in the late 18th century when they were known to cure cases of Scurvy amongst sailors. The sailors found that Lemons and Oranges were very effective in curing the disease as they were the richest sources of Vitamin C.
Today, Lemons are very rarely consumed alone, owing to their intense sour flavor. However, they are extremely popular when they are used in small quantities along with a combination of other herbs and spices. Lemons are also popularly used in order to create Lemon Juice or Lemonade which is a very popular drink all over the world.
Nutritional Breakdown of Lemons:
One raw Lemon contains the following:
Protein 0.6 grams
Fat 0.2 grams
Carbohydrate 5.4 grams
Vitamin C 51% of the daily requirement
Lemons are also a great source of Iron, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus as well as Copper and Manganese.
Health Benefits of Lemons:
It has been proved that eating high amounts of Citrus Fruits are known to lower down the Ischemic Stroke level in case of women. People who consume more Citrus Fruits are known to have an almost 19% less risk of developing stroke as compared to their counterparts. Here are some of the major health benefits of Lemons:
- Combats Cancer: Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidants known to help against the production of free radicals that cause cancer.
- Maintains a healthy complexion: Vitamin C, when eaten in its natural form can fight against skin damage which is caused due to pollution and sunlight. Lemons are known to improve the skin texture and play a major role in the formation of Collagen which is the basic support structure of the skin.
- Prevents Asthma: The risk of developing asthma is lower in people who regularly consume Lemons.
- Boosts Immunity: Lemon and Vitamin C are known to boost the immune system of a person by fighting against the germs which cause the common cold or flu.
- Increases the Iron Absorption: Iron deficiency is one of the major causes of anemia in poor or underdeveloped countries. Foods that are higher in Vitamin C, such as Lemons are known to maximize the ability of the body to absorb iron.
Login to Add Comment
Low Carb Diets are very much in trend these days. The dependency of people on these diets is increasingly greatly. However, you will be surprised to know that a few so called &lsqu
Diabetes is known to be a disease which hampers our chances to choose from a variety of food items. People suffering from Diabetes often complain of the narrow choices that they have while choosing
Bananas: The world’s First Fruit Bananas have emerged to be one of the most widely consumed fruits all around the world. This fruit not only is packed with nutrients,
Cantaloupe Cantaloupes run synonymous with summer picnics and family meals. They have emerged to be one of the most favorable choices of families across the world for their
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Pineapple - A Dangerous Fruit for Pregnant Women
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Persimmon
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
20 Incredible Benefits of Sunflower Oil for Skin, Hair & Health