By Refadoc, Posted on : Monday, 12 January 2015 - 10:53 pm IST
Lemons Fruit Overview:
Lemons came to become popular in the late 18th century when they were known to cure cases of Scurvy amongst sailors. The sailors found that Lemons and Oranges were very effective in curing the disease as they were the richest sources of Vitamin C.
Today, Lemons are very rarely consumed alone, owing to their intense sour flavor. However, they are extremely popular when they are used in small quantities along with a combination of other herbs and spices. Lemons are also popularly used in order to create Lemon Juice or Lemonade which is a very popular drink all over the world.
Nutritional Breakdown of Lemons:
One raw Lemon contains the following:
Protein 0.6 grams
Fat 0.2 grams
Carbohydrate 5.4 grams
Vitamin C 51% of the daily requirement
Lemons are also a great source of Iron, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus as well as Copper and Manganese.
Health Benefits of Lemons:
It has been proved that eating high amounts of Citrus Fruits are known to lower down the Ischemic Stroke level in case of women. People who consume more Citrus Fruits are known to have an almost 19% less risk of developing stroke as compared to their counterparts. Here are some of the major health benefits of Lemons:
- Combats Cancer: Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidants known to help against the production of free radicals that cause cancer.
- Maintains a healthy complexion: Vitamin C, when eaten in its natural form can fight against skin damage which is caused due to pollution and sunlight. Lemons are known to improve the skin texture and play a major role in the formation of Collagen which is the basic support structure of the skin.
- Prevents Asthma: The risk of developing asthma is lower in people who regularly consume Lemons.
- Boosts Immunity: Lemon and Vitamin C are known to boost the immune system of a person by fighting against the germs which cause the common cold or flu.
- Increases the Iron Absorption: Iron deficiency is one of the major causes of anemia in poor or underdeveloped countries. Foods that are higher in Vitamin C, such as Lemons are known to maximize the ability of the body to absorb iron.
Login to Add Comment
Being fashionable is great for a casual evening cocktail party, but it does not work in the corporate life! If you are going to be late every morning for work, your boss is surely
When the Chinese worked up on a brewing cup of tea centuries ago, little did they know that the benefits of tea would move beyond drinking it! Though tea has emerged as one of the most popular beve
Is your kitchen shelf utterly cluttered lately? Have you been wondering about shifting some of the condiments up into your refrigerator to make some space! Good move perhaps, but take note of the t
Cauliflower – Amazing Health Benefits It is a very commonly known fact that the fruits and vegetables which
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Benefits of eating Watermelons during Pregnancy
Triple X Syndrome
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Remarkable Benefits of Almonds for Health, Weight Loss & Skin
Guavas in Pregnancy - Major Health Benefits