By Refadoc, Posted on : Monday, 12 January 2015 - 10:53 pm IST
Lemons Fruit Overview:
Lemons came to become popular in the late 18th century when they were known to cure cases of Scurvy amongst sailors. The sailors found that Lemons and Oranges were very effective in curing the disease as they were the richest sources of Vitamin C.
Today, Lemons are very rarely consumed alone, owing to their intense sour flavor. However, they are extremely popular when they are used in small quantities along with a combination of other herbs and spices. Lemons are also popularly used in order to create Lemon Juice or Lemonade which is a very popular drink all over the world.
Nutritional Breakdown of Lemons:
One raw Lemon contains the following:
Protein 0.6 grams
Fat 0.2 grams
Carbohydrate 5.4 grams
Vitamin C 51% of the daily requirement
Lemons are also a great source of Iron, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus as well as Copper and Manganese.
Health Benefits of Lemons:
It has been proved that eating high amounts of Citrus Fruits are known to lower down the Ischemic Stroke level in case of women. People who consume more Citrus Fruits are known to have an almost 19% less risk of developing stroke as compared to their counterparts. Here are some of the major health benefits of Lemons:
- Combats Cancer: Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidants known to help against the production of free radicals that cause cancer.
- Maintains a healthy complexion: Vitamin C, when eaten in its natural form can fight against skin damage which is caused due to pollution and sunlight. Lemons are known to improve the skin texture and play a major role in the formation of Collagen which is the basic support structure of the skin.
- Prevents Asthma: The risk of developing asthma is lower in people who regularly consume Lemons.
- Boosts Immunity: Lemon and Vitamin C are known to boost the immune system of a person by fighting against the germs which cause the common cold or flu.
- Increases the Iron Absorption: Iron deficiency is one of the major causes of anemia in poor or underdeveloped countries. Foods that are higher in Vitamin C, such as Lemons are known to maximize the ability of the body to absorb iron.
Login to Add Comment
Today magazines, websites and blogs are full of advice onto eating better and maintaining a good diet form. The information is overwhelming as well as confusing at times. With so many food choices
Cooking imparts flavour to the food, but eating the food raw provides us with the much needed nutrients that help us to stay healthy and fit. Though the choices are very limited wh
Vitamin C - Ascorbic Acid : Overview Vitamin C has been dubbed as one of the most safest and effective nutrients all over the world. Though plants and certain animals have the abilit
Brussels sprouts Brussels sprouts are something we all hated eating up as kids. They suffer from a bad reputation; however that does not mean that they are not beneficial f
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
22 Proven Natural Home Remedies to Remove Blackheads
13 Incredible Benefits of Orange Juice for Radiant Skin & Health
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
20 Scientific Benefits & Uses of Walnut for Health & Skin
Triple X Syndrome
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots