Obesity - Health Center
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 15 September 2015 - 10:46 am IST
Obesity – Overview
Obesity was earlier known to be a condition though to attack people from a higher economic index. However, in today’s world, it has proved a great misconception. Obesity on the other hand, has emerged to be a very complex disorder in which the affected person starts accumulating excessive body fat. This in turn, goes out to increase the risk of the person being affected from diseases, out of which heart problems is one of the foremost.
Being obese means that the person who is affected is at a much greater risk of being effected with disorders related to heart. However, the happy news is that an obese person can get rid of problems related with Obesity very easily. With an increased change in the diet pattern, changes in the physical activity as well as changes in the behaviour, a person can deal with obesity very easily. Medications and surgery too, are viable options of treatment in most of the cases.
Major Causes for Obesity
Though the changes in the hormonal levels of affected person as well as some genetic changes are the most probable reasons for the occurrence of Obesity, the major reason is something else. The major reason for the occurrence of Obesity is when the body does not burn enough calories through exercise or the normal activities.
Some of the major reasons for the occurrence of Obesity are as follows:
- Physical Inactivity: People who are not much active physically are less prone to burn calories as compared to their counterparts. Since, they are inactive; they are not able to burn the calories in absence of exercises and other physical activities.
- Poor Eating Habits: People having bad eating habits or whose diet includes a high amount of calories are the ones which are at a higher risk of contracting obesity. People whose diet does not contain fruits and vegetables, lacking fast food or containing high amount of calories in beverages are all the reasons for contracting obesity.
- Inducement of Pregnancy: During the inducement of pregnancy, the weight of the woman increases drastically. However, after the baby is born, some people find it very difficult to shed weight. This weight could be one of the major factors inducing obesity in women.
- Insomnia: a person afflicted with insomnia develops hormonal imbalance. This can lead to increase in the appetite of the person and therefore, leads to the intake of more food and calories as a result.
- Intake of Medications: There are certain medications which lead to the increase in the weight of the affected person. If a person does not do enough physical exercise then, the intake of antidepressants or some medications associated with diabetes can come out to increase the weight of the affected person.
- Medical Problems and History: In some of the cases, when people come from the line of having medical problems which are associated with obesity.
Major Signs and Symptoms for Obesity
One of the major symptoms for obesity is the rise in the BMI (Body Mass Index) of the body. Supposing a person has a BMI of 30 or more, he can be termed as obese.
The BMI of a person can be calculated very easily by dividing the weight of the person by his height
The table for the BMI and weight status is as follows:
- BMI under 18. 5 – Underweight
- BMI between 18.5 to 24.9 – Normal
- BMI between 25.0 to 29.9 – Overweight
- BMI-between 30.0 to 34.9 – Obese (Class 1 Category)
- BMI between 35.0 to 39.9 – Obese (Class 2 Category)
- BMI between 40.0 and more – Extremely obese
Generally, the BMI of a person is a measure of the body fat of the person. However, the BMI cannot be considered to be the direct measure of the body fat for some people, such as athletes who may be having a high index of BMI but are not obese.
In case, you think that you are obese, and are highly conscious of your weight gain and the issues surrounding it, it is recommended to see a doctor immediately. The doctor can advise you and can suggest the immediate steps which can help you to evaluate your weight and take the correct measures for its correction.
Complications Arising from Obesity
When a person is suffering from Obesity, he can go on to develop a lot of health complications, which can affect ever single organ of the body.
Some of the major complications arising from Obesity are as follows:
- HDL – High Triglycerides and low high density lipoprotein
- Diabetes – Type 2
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems
- High chances of stroke
- Different kinds of cancers – cancer of uterus, cervix, ovaries, breasts, kidney, colon, prostrate,liver and pancreas to name a few.
- Disorders in breathing
- Problems with Gallbladder
Apart from these diseases, the overall quality of life decreases as well with the onset of obesity. People suffering from obesity are not able to take up the normal physical activities like their non obese counterparts. Also, they tend to avoid public places and occasions for the fear of humiliation.
Some of the psychological problems that are associated with obesity are as follows:
- Depressive mood
- Physical disability
- Problems with sexual contact
- An impending sense of shame
- Isolation from the society
- Lower level of productivity
Tests and Diagnosis of Obesity
In case the BMI of a person is over the range of normal, then it can be easily determined that he is suffering from Obesity.
However, some of the other tests and diagnosis which are needed for the diagnosis of Obesity are as follows:
- Taking a look at the health History: Before going for the diagnosis, the doctors take into consideration the family history, eating habits as well as the physical exercise pattern of the affected person. Not only that, the medications taken by the person along with the stress level is also checked in order to make sure about the real cause of the obesity.
- Checking for Health Disorders: The person is then checked for some health disorders. This may include blood tests and other scans in order to make sure that the person is not suffering from blood pressure or diabetes.
- Calculation of BMI: the doctors often ascertain the BMI of the person in order to check him for obesity. This needs to be done at least once a year. BMI is also a great tool in order to check the person for the signs of any eminent health dangers.
- Physical Exam: Physical exams are generally recommended in order to check the person for some of the most vital of signs. This could be related to checking the blood pressure, heart beat, pulse, body temperature etc.
- Blood Tests: Blood Test is done depending from one person to the other. Some of these tests may be including the cholesterol test, liver test, testing the body for glucose levels or even the thyroid test for that matter. In some of the cases, an electrocardiogram is also recommended.
Treatment of Obesity
The main goal in the treatment of Obesity should be to regain back the physical health and to maintain a normal body weight. The best way to move ahead with this regime is to make sure primarily that you inculcate a better eating as well as physical activities.
People should be beginning with a normal and simple target in the beginning. It should be the removal of 3 to 5 percent of the present body weight. The following are the changes that need to be made:
Change in the Dietary Pattern: Reduction of the body calories is the first step towards fighting with Obesity. Steady weight loss over a period of time, can come out to be one of the best ways towards fighting with Obesity. Some people follow Crash Diets, which promise weight loss suddenly. This should be discouraged, as this goes out to increase the weight of the person back to the usual. The best way to go out and lose weight is to make sure that you are consuming a diet which is low in calories. A lot of people have benefitted after adopting a healthy diet plan based on items such as fruits, vegetables, grains and whole grain carbohydrates. Salt and Sugar should be kept to the bare minimum. On the other hand, certain foods such as the ones which are high in carbohydrates and fats should be avoided on all costs.
Exercise and Physical Activity: People suffering from Obesity need to work out on an almost basis. The exercise regime should continue for up to almost 150 minutes per week. In order to lose weight more, it needs to be extended up to 300 minutes per week. The daily activities too need to be increased in order to burn the calories and lose the extra weight. When people make some very simple changes in their life too, it can come out to go a whole way in order to make them fit.
Obesity without a doubt can come out to be a great hampering force in the life of people. However, with the help of proper measures and a great physical regime, it can be controlled and one can regain back his physical motility.