Seasonal Allergies - Health Center
By Refadoc, Posted on : Tuesday, 15 September 2015 - 10:46 am IST
Getting Rid Of Seasonal Allergies:
A lot of people are not very excited at the prospect of Spring Season. For them, it is the season when their allergies kick in and start creating problems for them. These allergies bring on with them the onset of sneezing, congestion as well as runny nose. In some of the cases, these allergies are known as Hay fever or allergic rhinitis. So, let’s take a look at the ways in which we can get rid of these allergies.
Reducing the exposure:
Triggers are the allergens which are responsible to kick off or trigger the allergy in the person. So, the best way to fight the allergy is to make sure that your exposure time towards these triggers is reduced. Some of the ways are as follows:
- Make sure that you spend quite some time inside the house. The best time for you to go out is after the rains as the pollen grains have settled down and are not threatening you.
- Do not engage in things such as moving the lawn, pulling down the weeds or other activities related to gardening.
- When stepping inside, remove the clothes which you wore while you were outside. Have a good shower to rinse off the pollens and the dust off from your body.
- Avoid hanging out your laundry outside as pollen can attach to it.
- Wear a mask when you are going outside.
- Start taking medications before the onset of the pollen season in order to be better prepared.
- Make sure that your doors and windows are closed at night time or when the count of the pollen is very high.
- Stay away from outdoor activities during early morning, as pollen count is the highest then.
Keeping the Indoors Clean:
Apart from the outside environment, it is also very important to make sure that your indoors are sufficiently clean to decrease the chances of allergy.
Some of these measures are as follows:
ü Make use of air conditioning in your house and in your car.
ü Make sure that you have high efficiency filters in your home or have regular maintenance.
ü Keep the air of the inside humid free with the help of a humidifier.
ü Ensure that you have a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter in your bedroom.
ü Clean the floors of your bedroom with the help of a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter attached to it.
Medications to Treat Allergies:
There are many different kinds of medications which are available in the market to help people fight against allergies. Some of the most common ones are as follows:
ü Oral Antihistamines: These can help the person to deal with sneexing, itching as well as running nose. Some of the most famous antihistamines are Loratadine, Cetirizine and Fexofenadine.
ü Decongestants: These can help in providing temporary relief from the allergies. These come in the form of the nasal sprays and can be used for a short term measure to fight against allergies.
ü Nasal Sprays: These are used in order to ease the allergy symptoms and do not have any serious side effects. They tend to become most effective when used before the onset of the symptoms.
ü Combination medications: These are made with a combination of the antihistamines as well as decongestants.
Rinsing the nasal passages with the help of a saline solution is one of the best ways to get rid of the nasal congestion. This helps to flush out the mucus along with the allergens from the nose.