Sources and Benefits Of Omega-3
By Refadoc, Posted on : Thursday, 10 July 2014 - 6:13 am IST
Omega-3 fatty acid or n-3 fats, is perhaps the only fat that you should not shy away from! It is one of the most talked about fatty acid in the recent years and is essential for the body in more ways than one. Omega-3 fatty acids arepolyunsaturated fats that provide the body with nutrients. Like some vitamins, it is not made by our body and therefore needs to be sourced from the food we eat.
There are three types of omega-3 fatty acid, ALA or Alpha-linolenic acid, DHA or docosahexaenoic acid and EPA or eicosapentaenoic acid. ALA or alpha- linolenic acid can be sourced from several foods and our body has the ability to turn ALA into DHA and EPA.
All of these are very important for the proper functioning and health of our body. If we do not receive enough of these, the body will have various health issues like heart diseases, high cholesterol, diabetes and even cancer.
Here are the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
- Omega-3 fatty acid is good for the heart. It helps in decreasing the risk ofcardiovascular diseases such as blockage in arteries and abnormal hearbeat.
- It is great for skin. A moderate consumption of omega-3 fatty acid will give you flawless healthy skin.
- It stimulates blood circulation and prevents blood clots that can lead to strokes.
- Omega-3 deficiency can make you depressed and crabby. Therefore, including it in your daily diet will help lift up your mood.
- According to research consuming omega-3 fatty acids helps in preventing the occurrence of certain types of cancer such as breast cancer, prostate cancer and lung cancer.
- Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is linked to reduced risk factors such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Omega-3 fatty acids also aids in keeping hair healthy and lustrous.
- Omega -3 fatty acids lowers the risk of eye diseases such as macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome.
- According to research omega-3 fatty acids reduces inflammation which leads to arthritis.
Sources of Omega-3
Apart from the supplements that are available in the market, omega-3 fatty acids are found in small amounts in various food. Including them in your everyday diet, will ensure that you get the much needed omega-3 in a daily basis.
Here are some such foods:
- Fish: Salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and tuna
- Shellfish: Prawns, lobsters, crabs and clams
- Nuts: Walnuts, peanuts and hazelnuts
- Seeds: Flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds
- Fresh produce: Cauliflower, spinach, parsley, Brussels sprouts and kale
- Oils: Mustard oil, canola oil, olive oil, walnut oil, flaxseed oil, rapeseed oil and cod liver oil
One can also have omega-3 enriched eggs, soybeans, bread and tofu.
As we have seen there are health benefits of having omega-3 fatty acids and so you should include them in your diet.
Login to Add Comment
Thyroid Problems and Pregnancy: The Inter relation There are many different reasons behind infertility in women. Sometimes, it can be really hard to put a finger on the issue which is cau
Ebola Virus – Overview Due to its destructive potential, Ebola Virus has come out to make some news all over the world these days. With its reported spread all over the world and th
Tendinitis: Basic Information Tendinitis is known to be an inflammation or an irritation around the tendon. Tendons are thick fibrous cords which attach the muscles to the bones. Tendinit
Pancreatic Cancer: Basic Overview Pancreatic Cancer starts with the tissues of the pancreas – an organ found in the abdomen behind the lower part of the stomach. The pancreas are re
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Triple X Syndrome
Surprising Health Benefits of Balsamic Vinegar
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
Amazing Health Benefits of Gin
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Eating rice won't make you fat
10 Remarkable Benefits of Chlorophyll
12 Incredible Health Benefits of Wasabi
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?