Turmeric Benefits for Health, Skin, Face & Side Effects
By Refadoc, Posted on : Sunday, 24 May 2015 - 4:35 am IST
Turmeric, which is also commonly known as Curcuma Longa can be easily found amongst Indian households. It is commonly referred to as the ‘Queen of spices’ and has a pepper like aroma, sharp taste as well as golden color. Turmeric contains a wide range of antioxidants, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti mutagenic as well as anti inflammatory properties. It also comes loaded with the essential nutrients such as proteins, dietary fibers, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium as well as Zinc. Owing to all these factors, Turmeric is used to treat a lot of health problems.
Here are some of the major health benefits of Turmeric:
1) Prevents Cancer:
Turmeric is known to cut down the rate of Prostate Cancer and also stops the growth of the existing Prostate Cancer. The active components found in Turmeric make it one of the best protectors against radiation based tumors. It also tends to have a preventive affect against the tumor cells such as the T Cell Leukemia, colon carcinomas as well as breast carcinomas.
2) Relieves Arthritis:
The anti inflammatory properties of Turmeric are also known to prevent diseases such as Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. It’s properties are known to destroy the free radicals in the body and prevents the cells from damage. People suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis, when consume Turmeric are known to experience relief from their pains and inflammation.
3) Controls Diabetes
Turmeric is also used in the treatment of Diabetes as it helps to moderate the levels of insulin the bloodstream. It also helps to improve the levels of glucose in the body and increases the affectivity of the medicines used in order to treat diabetes. Turmeric also helps to reduce the insulin resistance and prevents the onset of Type 2 Diabetes.
4) Reduces the Blood Cholesterol Levels:
Research studies have proved that using Turmeric in your food can also reduce the serum cholesterol levels. It helps to maintain a proper cholesterol level and also prevents cardiovascular diseases.
5) Boosts the Immunity:
Turmeric contains a substance known as Lipopolysaccharide which helps to stimulate the immune system of the body. It prevents you from any kind of cold, flu and cough.
6) Heals Wounds:
Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent which can be used as an effective disinfectant. It can be used over cuts and bruises in order to speed up the healing process. It also helps to repair the damaged skin and treats conditions such as Psoriasis.
7) Helps in Weight Management:
Turmeric powder can be effectively used for weight management. It helps to increase the flow of bile in the body and helps in treating obesity and other associated diseases.
8) Prevents Alzheimer’s disease:
The inflammation of the brain is one of the leading causes of cognitive disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. Turmeric helps to boost the overall health of the brain by removing the plague like build up of the brain and improving the oxygen supply to the organ.
9) Improves Digestion:
The major ingredients found in Turmeric help in the production of Bile which is known to aid with the digestion of the food and eliminates the symptoms such as bloating or gas. Turmeric also helps in curing major diseases such as Ulcerative Colitis.
10) Prevents Liver Diseases:
Turmeric acts as a natural liver detoxifier. It helps to detoxify the blood with the production of the enzymes. These enzymes break down and reduce the toxins from the body. Turmeric also helps to improve the blood circulation in the body. All these factors help to support the overall growth of a healthy liver.
Turmeric Benefits of Hair:
Turmeric is not only beneficial for the skin, but it can be beneficial for the hair as well. A lot of ingredients along with Turmeric can be used in order to promote the growth of the hair and treats the conditions of the scalp. Here are some of the major hair benefits of Turmeric:
- Treats Dandruff: Dandruff along with some other scalp issues can be treated by applying a mixture of turmeric oil and olive oil. Leave this on for about 15 minutes before washing off with a shampoo. It removes the signs of dandruff and increases the circulation of the scalp.
- Prevents Hair Loss: Curcumin, present in Turmeric is known inhibit the activity and functioning of the agent beta one which is known to cause the decay of the hair follicles, leading to hair loss. Turmeric, when mixed with honey and milk, can be used to reduce the negative effects of hair loss.
- Treats Scalp Conditions: Turmeric can be used effectively in the treatment of scalp conditions such as Dermatitis and Eczema. These conditions can often lead to itchy and flaky skin along with inflammation and thinning. Fungal infections are also known to cause drastic hair loss. Curcumin, which is an active ingredient found in Turmeric is known to fight against the infections. Turmeric is well known due to its antifungal, anti inflammatory, anti allergic, anti oxidant, anti septic as well as anti bacterial properties.
Selecting and Storing Turmeric:
Dried herbs and spices are available all over the world in the supermarkets. However, it is recommended to buy the spices in the local spice market. When you are purchasing the Turmeric, it is always recommended to buy the organic one which does not contain any additives.
The color of the turmeric is greatly dependent on the variety and the quality of the powder. Often, turmeric is mixed up with other ingredients in order to provide it with a yellow and red hue. Being a natural colorant it is also used as an artificial coloring material.
Storage: Turmeric powder is often sealed and kept in a container and a cool dry place which is protected from the direct sunlight. Fresh turmeric needs to be placed in a refrigerator. Too much heat needs to be avoided in case of Turmeric and high humidity can cause it to cake. Direct sunlight can also fade the shade of the Turmeric powder. Containers containing Turmeric need to be closed properly and the older stock should be used earlier. Exposure to the air can cause the flavor to lose and the aroma to fade away.
Tips for Usage:
Turmeric is known for its yellow and orange hue. It can be added to a variety of foods and provides a great color, aroma and flavor to the foods. The root of the Turmeric is used to make a common spice which can be used in a variety of curries. Here are some amazing ways in which you can use the spice in your foods:
- Turmeric root can be eaten plain. You need to wash the root with the running cold water in order to get rid of the dirt or debris and peel off the skin. The root of the spice can be eaten raw.
- Turmeric Powder can also be added to your salad in order to provide a yellow color to the dish.
- Turmeric can be mixed with brown rice, raisins and cashews to make a dish.
- Chopped roots of the plant can also be added to the sandwiches to provide an authentic flavor.
- Turmeric goes well with a lot of curries as well and can be added to soups too.
- Fresh roots can be added to your smoothie in order to make it more delicious and healthy.
As Indians, we have been using Turmeric for a long time in our foods and now the western society has also learnt about the health benefits of using Turmeric in their food. Ayurveda has got a lot of things to teach other traditions.
Turmeric can also be used when you are suffering from any problem, injury or pain, You can mix it with milk and you can give it to the person who is not healthy. It offers good recovery.
Turmeric is a wonderful herb and makes a powerful concotion on top of that. It should be used in everything that you cook at your home. Great!
Turmeric also helps to get rid of the tanning of the skin as well. You can mix it with some raw milk and along with that you can add some lemon juice to it as well. use it over the area of the body that has been tanned and you would be able to see the difference in your skin within a few weeks. Tried and tested method.
Login to Add Comment
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Headaches and Migraines
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
Chyawanprash- Health Benefits, Ingredients, Dosage, Nutritional Facts, Side Effects
Triple X Syndrome
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
9 Surprising Health Benefits of Apricots
10 Reasons for Cramping During Early Pregnancy
How to get rid of bad breath - Expert Doctors tell you the way out - Refadoc
25 Surprising Carrot Juice Benefits for Skin & Health
Scientific Benefits of Blueberries for Skin, Health and Weight Loss
Why did India ban 344 fixed dose combination drugs?