Where are the Germs?
By Refadoc, Posted on : Wednesday, 17 December 2014 - 10:34 am IST
It’s getting colder and the winters are just here. Your immunity may be going low. So, now is the right time to know how you and your family can escape disease causing germs and bugs in your own home.
Most microbes are not harmful. However, there are some nasty ones in the close vicinity of our living area. Here is where they are hiding:
- Kitchen Sponges and Dishrags: Do you know that the sponges and dishrags which we used to clean our dishes contain more germs as compared to the toilet bowl? It could be even worse! Up to 7% of sponges and dishrags contain Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which are also known as flesh eating bacteria. The fix for this solution is to sanitize your sponges by microwaving them every day. Wash your dishrags as well!
- Kitchen sinks, Toothbrush Holders and Kitchen Countertops: These places are the hotspot for the bacteria. So, make sure that you clean them properly every day. Use a diluted bleach mixture by adding one tablespoon of bleach to four cups of water in order to clean your kitchen sinks and countertops. For the toothbrush holder, wash it with hand in hot and soapy water in order to clean it completely.
- Bathroom Taps, TV Remotes, Refrigerator Handles and Doorknobs: Cold resistant viruses are known to linger for days on these surfaces. Also, flu viruses can live on these surfaces for even longer. It is recommended to disinfect and clean their surfaces daily if someone in your home is sick.
- Public Touch spots such as ATM Keypads: Researchers have found that public touch spots such as the ATM Keypads contain Staphylococcus. Though you can’t do anything about it, make sure that you clean your hands after using these surfaces with a strong and efficient hand wash.
- Shopping Carts: Researchers have been able to find traces of E. coli, a very harmful microbe on around 70% shopping carts. Packages of meat tend to leak, leaving these microbes lingering on the shopping carts. Avoid putting your babies in your shopping carts in the first place as a child’s immune system is very vulnerable. Also, avoid putting your meat on the top of your cart while shopping.
This is the time of the year when people are most susceptible to catch cold, flu or worse. Therefore, the best way to protect yourself is to wash your hands time and again. The best way to wash your hands is by using a lot of lather. Rub your hands for about 20 seconds and then rinse them well in order to stay clean and healthy.
Login to Add Comment
Constipation - Overview Constipation is one of the taboo topics that no one really wants to talk about. In case you have suffered from this problem, you know that it can come out to be ve
Sleep Disorders - Overview Often due to some lifestyle decisions or due to every stress incurred by a person, there is a change in the sleeping pattern or habits. This considerable change
Did you know that being well spotted could actually work in your favor? It has been found that moles are linked with a delayed aging process. A recent scientific research has
Tongue Piercing is emerging as one of the latest trends amongst the youth all over the world. The piercing technique involves placing a barbell type stud across the tongue. However, research has ad
7 tips to Prevent Hair Loss
10 Tips to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Eating rice won't make you fat
Headaches and Migraines
20 Effective Home Remedies for Fairer Skin
Lady's Finger : Major Health Benefits
Eating rice won't make you fat
Triple X Syndrome
Amazing Health Benefits of Vodka
Rooibos Tea Benefits for Health, Weight Loss, Pregnancy & Side Effects
How to get rid of bad breath - Expert Doctors tell you the way out - Refadoc
Honey During Pregnancy - Is It Safe?
13 Wonderful Health Benefits of Mushrooms